Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Looking ahead to turn out pasture  (Read 2044 times)

PK

• Joined Mar 2015
  • West Suffolk
    • Notes from a Suffolk Smallholding
Looking ahead to turn out pasture
« on: December 28, 2015, 08:44:57 pm »
The pasture where I plan to turn out my 3 ewes and lambs (all being well) next early April currently looks about right to my inexperienced eye in respect of grass that is there now. My concern is that by April it will put on a lot more growth. Would it be best to give it a mow now or soon if we have a dry spell with a view to re-growth being ready for April? Or just leave it? I realise the weather for the rest of the winter is an unknown, but on balance to mow or not to mow?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Looking ahead to turn out pasture
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 12:07:30 pm »
How high is the grass?  You're in a warmer part of the country but even so grass will be growing very slowly now, not least because of the short daylight hours.  I leave my turnout field to grow from the beginning of September - slow-growing through the Winter means the ewes are turned out on grass that's got a higher magnesium content than the fresh flush of Spring grass, so avoiding grass staggers.

PK

• Joined Mar 2015
  • West Suffolk
    • Notes from a Suffolk Smallholding
Re: Looking ahead to turn out pasture
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 04:54:45 pm »
It was mowed in September and now ranges between 6 to 8 inches. I guess it depends on the weather how much extra it might grow. I think I'll leave it and see what happens. Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 04:56:56 pm by PK »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS