Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help Needed  (Read 2257 times)

JOHN6662

• Joined Apr 2010
Help Needed
« on: April 20, 2010, 11:33:15 am »
Hi

I am a famers daughter but have never farmed mysellf (and my dad farms beef). I amwanting to get a ewe with lambs at foot. I am wanting to then take the ewe to slaughter for my own meat.
1) is this possible
2) how old does the ewe need to be
3) what paper work do i need and how much will it cost?

Many Thanks

Jo   

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Help Needed
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 01:43:57 pm »
What you are proposing is an unusual way of doing things - normally you woudl send the lambs for slaughter at about 6 months / 45kg and keep the ewe for breeding next year OR if the ewe was no good for breeding send her off for slaughter too, but probably to a processor as old ewe isn't going to make the best eating.

bamford6

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 08:46:55 am »
it will cost about £40 to get it slated Yul pick up boxed and in 2 half's it should be ok

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 09:17:39 am »
Hi

I am a famers daughter but have never farmed mysellf (and my dad farms beef). I amwanting to get a ewe with lambs at foot. I am wanting to then take the ewe to slaughter for my own meat.
1) is this possible
2) how old does the ewe need to be
3) what paper work do i need and how much will it cost?

Many Thanks

Jo   
1. yes but odd to do it that way. the mums are better and more productive after there first lambing.
2. some of ours got served at a year old. no problems with lambing but not all were perfect mums. 2 year old shearings are better.
3. you will have a holding number so you just need a flock number. no cost for the paperwork.
you will need to decide what breed and how many and where your going to source them from.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS