Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ram lamb with a funny willy!...and two scrota...havent counted the testes yet  (Read 4908 times)

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Do what you enjoy; And enjoy what you do!!
Hiya All,

I have a ram lamb - one of twins who is hale and hearty barr one thing. His willy is miss-shappen! Instead of the usual 'button' he seems to have what to all intents looks like a ewe lambs vulva but on his belly where his willy should be! He is peeing and dunging well so I dont think he has any internal problems.

Has anyone come across this before? could he be a hermaphrodite? although I know this can be common in cattle, if i am not mistaken it is usually when there is a male and female set of twins. Also lambs have their own blood individual blood supply so the hormones dont get mixed. Anyway he was one of two males....

I am thinking of his future. He will be for the freezer eventually, but in the meantime I am concerned about his skin condition.  When he pees the urine runs all down his hind legs rather than clear to the ground. I think he may end up with nappy rash!!! Obviously I will keep a close eye- and maybe he will have to get used to having the occasional bath. If I thought he was going to have serious problems I would get the vet to check him over...just looking for comments and opinions.
cheers emma T
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 03:51:42 pm by pikilily »
If you don't have a dream; how you gonna have a dream come true?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Ram lamb with a funny willy!
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 09:06:06 am »
Has anyone come across this before? could he be a hermaphrodite? although I know this can be common in cattle, if i am not mistaken it is usually when there is a male and female set of twins.

Hi there.

The mixed twins in cattle means that the female twin is generally infertile - as far as I know the reproductive organs are fine but the male hormones before birth either prevent her getting pregnant or carrying to full term. It's not hermaphrodite which is carrying both male and female reproductive organs on the same animal (if my Higher Biology serves me at all well)

I've never seem anything like you describe - hopefully others will be able to help and the little fella will be OK.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Re: Ram lamb with a funny willy!
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 02:52:11 pm »
Never seen that before, but suppose if its not causing any health problems, it will be ok.

Our Shetland sheep, Bertie, had an accident with the shearer the year before we got him.  No one mentioned there was a castrated tup in with all the ewes, and he set too shearing Bertie .......lets just say poor Bertie had a bit chunk of his willie sheared off.  He now pees through a hole half way up, but he does not seem to mind.  I bet he was in agony after his accident though..

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
I have just been out to check the tup lamb again and have noticed he has two scrota too! I havent been able to identify how many balls he has though. Now this then poses another problem. How do i castrate him...i have no way of knowing what else may be abnormal. It may be too much to put two rings on..one is painful enough!!!!! or so i am told.
this may have to be deferred to the vet.
Emma T

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
I spoke to my vets and the lamb is a hermaphrodite or locally called a Jenny Willox. He/she mill prob be infertile which is good cos we can castrate using rings. I will have to put udder cream on his legs to protect him from urine scald - but otherwise should not have any problems.
Emma T

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS