Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Standard breeds/Colours  (Read 2083 times)

ThomasR

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Peebles
Standard breeds/Colours
« on: November 25, 2015, 08:54:56 pm »
Hi
 I have come to realise that some colours of certain breeds are not allowed to be shown in a class where as a different colour can be shown. Why is this? And is there anything that can be done to change this?

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
  • Bramham flock Wiltshire Horns
Re: Standard breeds/Colours
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 09:32:51 pm »
Example please
follow on FB@BramhamWiltshireHorns

ThomasR

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Peebles
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 09:37:07 pm »
I have Breda fowl. This is a dutch breed that has recently come into the UK. I'm allowed to show the blues and blacks in the rare breed category but the splash has to be shown in the non standard category which is only at the very large shows. Why is this colour not standard over here? Is there anyway that this can be changed?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 09:43:56 pm »
I just wrote a comparison between this and dog breed standards - it disappeared so here is a potted version.

The Kennel Club is the Governing Body for dogs. 

Each breed club or group of clubs together as a Breed Council, has drawn up (or for new breeds draws up) the relevant breed standard, which includes shape, size, weight, colours etc

This standard is then submitted to the Kennel Club for approval, and once accepted and printed can only be changed after consultation with and the agreement of the kennel Club

I'd have thought that would be the case for the Poultry etc governing body - the National Poultry Association maybe?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2015, 09:04:47 am »
As I understand it Mendel's Law kicks in here. The way you would get a splash bird would be Blue x Blue = 50% Blue, 25% Black, 25% Splash, or Blue x Splash = 50% Blue, 50% Splash, or Splash x Splash = 100% Splash.  Splash x Black = 100% Blue.  Since one of the requirements of a breed standard is that the colouring should be predictable and consistent I would gues that just isn't the case with spash birds.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS