Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bacon Clanger  (Read 11812 times)

WinslowPorker

• Joined Mar 2010
Bacon Clanger
« on: April 15, 2010, 02:27:35 pm »
Finally got my mums recipe for a bacon clanger!! how easy and no there is never any left!!

Basically you make up some suet pastry approx 12oz plain flour & 6ozs suet a small pinch of salt and a grind of pepper the roll out until about 1/4 inch think, sprickle with some finely chopped bacon, onion & sage (dried or fresh) and leave a gap all the way round of approximately an inch. wet the edges and roll much like a swiss roll, once this is done wrap and secure with greaseproof paper, wrap it in a large piece of muslin (or as i do rinse out a tea towel throughly so you remove the conditioner) and tie at each end like a christmas cracker and a couple of times on the main body. Cover with water and boil in a large pan and boil for approx 2-3 hours.

Variations include doing one half with the meat mix and the other with jam, much oroignal cornich pasties, but to be honest i make this and then a jam roly poly!!

Be warned this is seriouly unhealthy but man alive with a good dollop of brown sauce some boiled taters!!! try and you will see

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
Re: Bacon Clanger
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 03:43:45 pm »
Mmmmmm...sounds lovely.

Will have to try.    :) :) :)
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

WinslowPorker

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 03:58:59 pm »
Or I will make one up on the July road trip

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 05:46:42 pm »
Excellent idea!  I'll get the ingredients in.  :) :) :)
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Frieslandfilly

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 02:54:02 pm »
OOOOOoooo, I had forgotten all about bacon clangers, now I am goning to have to make one, haven't had one for years and years....mmmmmm

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 04:26:35 pm »
I have not heard of that name before.Must be a bit like Brawn,we alust call Brawn Souse.Boston way it's collard Rind When its Winter and code as a Eskimos bum we make the suet pastry then put a good depth of mixed dried fruit in or mincemeat very tasty and sticks to yer ribs Mother claimed.It's not much on a hot summers day though.So it should be in recipes never mind Winter dinner at 5:00pm The day before you cut up some shin of beef and put it in the slow cooker with some Ox kidney a teaspoon of dried mixed herbs S & P to taste just cover and fit the lid leave on 6 hours then switch off leave over night. Make a double lot of WP's suet pastry divide into 2 equal portions With one roll it out and wet a basin about a 8" Line the basin with the pastry and trim round,Now spoon the meat out of the slow cooker into the basin and add the gravy to about a third of the way up the meat(THIS IS IMPORTANT) Punch up the trimmings of the pastry and roll out flat wet the edge with water and fix on top of the meat secure the pastry lid to the basin pastry make a small hole in the center of the lid to allow the steam to escape.cover with greaseproof paper and tie down make a handle with the tying string so you can lift out the basin out of the steamer in 2 hours time Bring the water in the saucepan up to boil put the steamer on the top and turn the heat down to keep a gentle steam.Make the veggies and the potato's ready to put on to cook in a hour and half Put the roly poly on as WP or mine at the same time it also needs 2 hrs cooking time When you have found some thing better than this at the same or less cost let me know so I can try it  ;D :farmer: :wave:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS