Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Salami and Chorizo etc  (Read 3821 times)

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
Salami and Chorizo etc
« on: November 12, 2015, 06:35:42 pm »
Hiya

Have had a bit of a look round but am looking for website or book recommendations for making salami and chorizo from home grown pork?
I've seen Charcuterie: The Craft of Salting, Smoking, and Curing by Michael Ruhlman recommended and the River Cottage book - any others please :)

I'm not at all ready to make any, but I'd like some boots to read on the hows and whys etc to see if its something I can do.

Thanks!

ArosP

• Joined Jul 2012
Re: Salami and Chorizo etc
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 07:41:20 pm »
i Had best results from River Cottage book. A really lovely book that has everything in and a good read is Darina Allen Forgotten skills of cooking, has a lot of practical stuff. Also Paul Heineys Ham and Pigs

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 08:31:23 pm »
If you are on FB then have a look for a group called 'Sausage Debauchery' - very helpful.

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 11:59:22 pm »
Thanks guys

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 11:25:22 am »
Its actually very straightforward and much less complicated than you would think. I have some curing in the fridge that should be ready to hang at the end of this week. I have the river cottage book and it keeps it simple but I also have a couple of sausage books that are good for ideas and inspiration.

I bought my salami skins, strings etc separately but I think you can buy a salami kit through Amazon from Butchers sundries or somewhere.  That might be a good way to get you going.

Thinking about a suitable place to hang it was the biggest challenge for me. It would dry quicker in the warmer months but might also attract flies. I was thinking about making a muslin bag to protect it and hang it in the garage or utility room.....?

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2015, 03:41:45 pm »
Oh yes and I've used Weschenfelder for the seasonings/cures - they do a chorizo kit and a salami kit - v easy instructions. Their site is weschenfelder.com I think

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2015, 02:10:58 pm »
I am currently in the middle of Chorizo making from the Weschenfelder kit (its my first attempt). Really easy with clear instructions, it is currently hanging and has a few weeks to go, but looking forward to it being ready for Christmas.  :fc:
________
Caroline

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2015, 02:40:18 pm »
Just hung 2 gammon joints this morning. They had been in a wet cure, salts from Weschenfelder, for 10 days with cider and water. Dried them and wrapped in muslin this morning.

I am giving them a couple of days to dry out and then going to put them in the freezer. I am having a new years eve party so am going to cook one the day before so that people can have cold ham and pickle.

Well, thats the plan anyway so I hope it turns out ok.

I also had some bacon, dry cured with Weschenfelder cure, for lunch and it was lovely
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2015, 03:57:08 pm »
Ooh yum. I also have the Weschenfelder cure on hams and bacons, has only been a few days of curing and getting excited already!
________
Caroline

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS