Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Perthshire Smallholder Wannabe  (Read 5507 times)

carrumba0095

• Joined Jun 2008
Perthshire Smallholder Wannabe
« on: June 18, 2008, 09:48:59 pm »
Hola!  Am currently living in Perthshire and have an allotment...greenhouse...family and full time job!!  Not enough time in the world!  Anyway, would love to have a smallholding but cannot seem to find any info on how to get a hold of one in Perthshire or nearby!  Any info would be more than welcome as would love to be able to run a small-holding to provide (most) of our families food whilst my wife works full-time.  Finding this site feels like a good step in the right direction!

Cheers!

;)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Perthshire Smallholder Wannabe
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 07:54:05 am »
Hi, and welcome to the TAS forums

Where in Perthshire are you? We're in Alloa, so not far away. We're in the same position as you - large garden, pigs, hens, three sheep, veggies etc and full-time jobs. Finding land is a problem in the Central belt. Not surprisingly, housing is more lucrative than smallholding, even in  a depressed market. Mind you, the way things are going eggs might end up more valuable than an executive villa!

Have a look at the Forth Valley and West Fife Smallholders Association www.smallholders.info - we won't discriminate if you don't live in the Forth Valley or West Fife!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 10:47:04 am by Dan »

stephen

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Kent
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 08:37:36 am »
hey welcome to the forums  ;D

Townie

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Fife
    • http://www.townie.wordpress.com
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 12:56:04 pm »
Hi from me too :)

carrumba0095

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 10:22:27 pm »
Hey!  Cheers for the welcome! :-)

The allotment I have is a good long strip but can't keep livestock on it and is a little from the house.  but, am managing to grow 300 onions, 6 dreels of tatties (Red Duke of York, Winston, Kestrel, Shetland Black, Sante & Pentland Javelin), Runner Beans, French Beans, carrots, cabbage, strawberries, raspberries, white/red/black currants, gooseberry, loganberry, monster pumpkin, peas and sweet peas.  *phew*  No wonder I have no time.  Have tried to limit weeding with black plastic that has helped a bit.  Would love to get hold of some land where I could put up a larger greenhouse to try and grow more through the winter as well as keep chickens.  Though not in the greenhouse, you understand!  Hehehehe.  Back garden is too small... one raised bed and a greenhouse... so the allotment is a must for me!

Anyway, living in Perth and yes - ground is absolutely of a premium though houses have stopped selling here... no matter what Reporting Scotland tries to tell you!  Annoying thing is our allotment is under threat because they want to build houses on the golf course and our allotments become the access road!   ???  Would be a shame. Not for a while yet though, hopefully.

Any help and pointers greatfully accepted!  Am loving the site and can see me being a regular visitor!

stephen

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Kent
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 10:15:58 am »
Have you considered aproaching local farmers to see if they have any dissused land they want to sell off?  ;D

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 11:05:46 am »
A tad cloudy here in Nomandy, but it feels warm, so a warm welcome from us here as well.

Kate  :pig: :)
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

carrumba0095

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2008, 01:09:22 am »
Hehehehe.. cheers for the welcome Kate.  Here it has rained very little for a month and a half...is very odd.  Perth has it's own weather system, surrounded by hills.

Anyway.. was speaking to one of my trainees and their fiancee is a farmer with unused fields so there is a possibility there!  Will let you know.

carole

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2008, 12:09:27 pm »
Hello and welcome from us in Brittany

Carole

stephen

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Kent
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2008, 08:41:18 am »
oh that sounds promising!! let us know if you have any luck getting a field or two or three..... ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS