Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: The twins had fun!  (Read 3342 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
The twins had fun!
« on: April 11, 2010, 11:35:33 pm »
Jasmine's kids ventured out to the big wide world yesterday, and again today - well, it was only the hay meadow, but I am sure it was the world to them!!!  I led Jasmine and they followed behind very nicely.  Got to the meadow, Mum started on the grass, and the two girls were off, running round, jumping over each other.  They had such fun!!

I let Paddy out for an airing too.  Watching the kids must have gone to his head.  On the way back up the field, he was leading the way, and suddenly ran round like the kids had been doing, and then walked on his back legs up the field.  Unfortunately he got a bit too excited, and started to fight the sheep, and then the little pony.

Here is Jasmine with Primrose and Poppy enjoying the sunshine

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: The twins had fun!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 08:12:56 am »
What a smashin photo Roxy, they are looking great. Shame Paddy had to disgrace himself hee hee hee. Have you saw the advert on TV for Malibu where a goat, names Snowflake" chews through cables - that makes me laugh too?

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 10:07:15 am »
Your kids are looking really well Roxy, Jasmine is obviously producing lots of milk for them. Its been so nice the past couple of days some of ours have been out too. Not them all because of the kiddings!

Beth

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 08:44:25 pm »
I am itching to get mine out, but due to the horrible wetaher we had to use our hayshed as emergency lambing shed and its only separated out from the goats by metal hurdles - the kids would be in there in a shot... and still got five ewes to lamb in there...

but I let them out together inside the goat shed when mums are out and I am there to supervise, its running from one pen to the next and back again...

interesting thing happened when one of my gimmers lambed very loudly the goats came to have a look from the other side of the hurdles - so nosy. at other times they dont take any notice of each other anymore!

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 09:49:39 pm »
they look great Roxy!  some nice weather we're getting - really cheering up the animals... ane me!
Little Blue

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 10:19:15 pm »
great pics roxy cute kids :D

i notice jasmine's horns arent disbudded?
please forgive me for pointing this out to you, im not trying to be silly or annoying,
its just that ive been told on ere alot about goats needing disbudding?
i myself would love for my goats to have their horns, but i was just following advice.
again sorry for asking when you have put lush pics of the kids up ;)
langdon :goat:
p.s. are they british sannens
Langdon ;)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 10:55:53 pm »
No problem with you asking Langdon, and I will answer of course!!

All the goats I have now (er .....20 in all) bar two, have horns.  This is not through choice - they are all goats I have taken in from other people, and obviously they had not had their goats dehorned.  I certainly would not keep horned and de horned goats together, but as they are in groups, they get along fine, and the horns are not a problem.

In the past I was fortunate that all the goats I had, were naturally polled, which means they were born with no horns.

The two kids in the picture have got little horns coming through.  After much thought, I decided not to de horn them.  De horning any animal is not without risk, and if the kids were to knock their heads soon after de horning, it could actually kill them. 

jasmine's horns are tame compared to Paddys - oh and we have a castrated billy, who although not very big has extremely large horns.  Will try and find a pic for you of Billy.

Jasmine is a Sannan, smaller than the British Sannan.  The kids father is Paddy who is a British Alpine, quite a large breed - so I am expecting the two kids to be bigger than Mum!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS