Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Langdon ....build that shed strong .....  (Read 3611 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Langdon ....build that shed strong .....
« on: March 01, 2010, 10:11:50 pm »
very strong!!!

The 5 goats I took in last week, are admittedly, big strapping boys. They are housed in a very large field shelter.  For the past 10 years this shed has been used by the farmer we rent some land to, who fed his weaned calves in there.  Its taken some hammer from those rough animals, when they have been jostling for their calf nuts.  Farmer had put up feed troughs along the back wall. 

These goats  have been jumping into the troughs, standing on their back legs, and balancing against the wall.  Right up in the rafters are swallows nests made out of mud.  All these have been extracted and brought down by the goats.  They have pushed some of the back panels out of the shed, so we have had to do some repairs too!! 

Everything for goats has to  be super strong - they are very destructive.

I hope this shelter we have them in stands up to 5 rough boys.  It is not a flimsy thing fortunately.  It was an old signal box from the railway above the farm, and my uncle  dismanted it and he and his brother carried it down piece by piece.  Its been up 40 years and withstood many cows in its time.......

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
Re: Langdon ....build that shed strong .....
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 10:55:17 am »
as i said its not going to look pretty like something you would see in a mag.
but it is going to be strong thank you for reminder ;) and rustic looking.
but above all saftey is the key factor. it only small is well just to keep them warm and dry on nast days.
i changed it abit did you see where i said im putting concrete in the ground to make those posts sturder.
will let you know how it progresses. ;) :goat:
thanks roxy
Langdon ;)

bamford6

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 04:58:06 pm »
building this at the moment its  20 ft by 12 done 3 days so far the other 1 is 8 by 6 10 egg box  done 2 weeks ago
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 05:02:55 pm by bamford6 »

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 05:13:08 pm »
You are keeping busy, building sheds Bamford!!  I could do with a shed that size to house my growing number of goats - and poultry!)

Can you just put up what sheds you want?  I have about 5 hen sheds in the field, a stone barn, and a smallish field shelter for the goats, thats just on the croft of about an acre.  Have to be really careful here, the planning are strict, even for livestock.  Someon nearby put up a nicely built not too large shelter for calves, they just extended what was there. Next thing planning are there, and permission was needed.  Its still there, so must have said it was ok. Obviously a neighbour had reported the extension, which like I say was not in any way untidy.

bamford6

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 07:41:22 pm »
whot iv done was put 10 in a row i naw have 53 as i get the timber for favers i inprove whot iv got .i think youre right they could kick off .where are you .haws the eggs doin and do you need some had 150 today and 8 lambs so things not to bad

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 09:53:57 pm »
thanks roxy!
 i love it as much as they do, i guess you have read that i spend alot of time in there with them :D
roxy have you read the post i put up about mollys swollen udder?
i took her to the vet and he gave her antibiotics- draxxin
he said its not mastitis, but cos there is a small like scab thing on her udder he felt he needed to give her
the injection.
the vet was able to test her milk, which i was really surprised as she hasnt had kids yet! ???
do you have any thoughts on this?
langdon :goat:

Langdon ;)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 11:05:33 pm »
Bamford - have you got 53 sheds???  I would be so definitely getting a visit from the council if I had that many!!  I am in Derbyshire, and the Peak National Park boundary is just up the road.  So, we have the National Park watching and the council, and we are in green belt and an area of special beauty too - development of any kind is frowned upon.  Unless its a supermarket of course, or a housing estate.

Did the vet say why he was testing the milk, Langdon?  I assume he was seeing if it had blood in it, or was stringy (as in mastitis?)  or maybe an infection he thought she had?  I am just wondering about the scab on Mollys udder.....had you not noticed a wound of any kind?  Probably not, if you were not milking her.  Maybe she scratched her udder on a bramble bush, or branch or something, and the wound got infected.  Very easy to happen, because goats lie down, and soil or anything dirty can get on the wound.  And then the udder swelled up.

I am sure she will be fine, and the udder will not be affected for her being milked in the future.  Its one of those things that happen to animals, and not something you could have prevented.

bamford6

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 11:29:38 am »
this is the big field i have about 55 here and 5 big duck pens . nere the house i have the nicer pens .we are 2 miles from the road or ENE house .people dont mone they just come and walk round and look at the stock .at the bottom off the road is a table where you can pick eggs up fruit spuds corn or get some young birds .even the vet and doctor drop in eggs .iff you wish you could have a ton bag off mixed corn £90 in a couple months .rent the big fields the farmer cuts the edges and thats whot i have .but things havent worked out as the snow coverd the field for 4 months 2 weeks fertility is dawn getting 150 to 1 80 eggs at the moment and no chicks sale is may the 1st .will sell eggs but iff i had chicks 5 pound each sell in 10s sussex road etc the rare the birds the more money you would get .chocklate orpingtons 50 pound each mountain qual 150 each or 6 eggs 60 pound .iff you had 5 rare breed pens such as gold lace orpingtons silver lace /chocklate split black etc the chicks are worth 30 to 50 each . eggs 25 pound so 5 pens could make 2 thousand  500 thats good manigement  .you could then get qual the rare breeds mountain etc and so on .thats whot iv been doin but im dawn 3000 this winter with no young stock so no profit till july
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 11:57:48 am by bamford6 »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS