Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: lamb prices!  (Read 9232 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
lamb prices!
« on: October 26, 2015, 08:09:39 am »
http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2013/feb/03/fears-future-lamb-farming  read this it is truly shocking. I just hope that it gets better next year. Personally I'm going to start selling my stock online at a price I can set and if i don't get the price then its off to the abattoir, I will not have a tiny amount paid for the sheep i have been working so hard to rear. I think someone should get up a petition, to end all of whats going on. What does everyone think?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 08:11:54 am by waterbuffalofarmer »
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
Re: lamb prices!
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 09:21:31 am »
It really annoys me that so much is imported. Support the British Farmer!!

I was speaking to a farmer last week at mart and he quoted that it costs £2.40 odd a kg to raise a lamb compared to the £1.30 odd a kilo that he was getting at store. 

Speaking to the gent we had the ram off he said we d be better keeping the lambs over the winter and selling them as hoggs next year, swings and roundabouts though I think, unless the imports decrease.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 09:49:05 am »
I agree with you hellybee. If a law was past for set lamb prices, and imported lamb was banned whilst lamb was in season over here it would boost the economy alongside other things too. I really think Wales should try harder to export their lamb to different countries, I don't think the NFU are making much of a difference, they need to try a little harder.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 10:03:42 am »
Next time I go into the supermarket I m going to note the meat prices, I don't really eat lamb anymore, or buy much meat from a supermarket, we tend to support the local butcher.  We eat out for sunday dinner and are convenience food junkies, so don't really buy joints of meat, but chops, specials, bacon etc.

We wanting our ram lambs to go at the beginning of December, We ll be asking week on week our trusted friends if things are up and keep an eye on local market reports,and take the plunge....

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 10:08:38 am »
Hi Helly, go to Hybu Cig Cymru to see whats up. Don't go on the mart reports as they are deliberately misleading

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2015, 10:22:49 am »
Cheers me just had a look now, did some random English and welsh markets, just to start looking, bookmarking it now.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2015, 10:31:42 am »
Hellybe  why are you not eating your own lamb?
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2015, 10:32:05 am »
That was from 2013?

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2015, 10:38:07 am »
Well spotted Footbar   ......   WBF  please be a bit more careful on the old Google.

Similar problem this year ... but not sure how prices compare .

Sell lamb direct to customers and make sure they realise where it comes from and how it was reared (and detail the supermarket alternative)  My OH who is not from a farming background is amazed at how little he knew and is now doing an excellent job selling to townies with this info!

The media tells the tale of market prices down and townies expect their meat cheap ... they have no idea that the supermarket prices probably haven't changed .. and rarely could tell you how much they pay for a joint of meat anyway!
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2015, 11:51:56 am »
I couldn't see the date properly due to ads. However it is interesting how the prices haven't changed since then, except by getting lower and lower. Think I'll move to France, much nicer over there. ;D

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2015, 01:34:40 pm »
Nope not for me, I've grown increasingly fond of pork since keeping sheep  :innocent:

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2015, 01:51:10 pm »
I agree with you hellybee. If a law was past for set lamb prices, and imported lamb was banned whilst lamb was in season over here it would boost the economy alongside other things too. I really think Wales should try harder to export their lamb to different countries, I don't think the NFU are making much of a difference, they need to try a little harder.

What planet are you on?  Please name any other industries where such rules and laws such as those you propose are in force?  Why should sheep farmers have more ring fenced, subsidised system than anyone else? 

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2015, 03:59:36 pm »
Absolutely Verdifish! That's kind of how a free market economy works (let's ignore farm subsidies for the moment though  :innocent:).

Maybe the current low prices just tell us we're producing too much lamb?  The butcher who just processed our lambs told me that his busy wee shop only sells the equivalent of one whole lamb per week - my jaw nearly hit the floor! Indeed, when we went to collect them, his freezer room was choc full of meat, but ours was the only lamb in there.

We can debate the reasons, but the fact is that lamb is just not as popular in the UK as it once was, and that must act as a drag on prices if supply remains constant.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2015, 04:39:22 pm »
I would prefer to run a couple on over the winter to go in the freezer than buy imported lamb. Someone is making a killing and its not the farmer.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2015, 04:46:18 pm »
let's ignore farm subsidies for the moment though  :innocent: ).

Actually a subsidy for the consumer and to keep farmers producing food. If you want a free market economy, go ahead and stop the subsidies but wave goodbye to the managed countryside, any notion of food security and higher prices in the shops.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 07:07:03 pm by Dan »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS