Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 48 lambs till yesterday then twins followed by triplets  (Read 6078 times)

bamford6

48 lambs till yesterday then twins followed by triplets
« on: April 11, 2010, 09:53:05 am »
i have 200 rare breed sheep and 2 rams the 2 rams were bought last september at a cost off 2000 all the money i had for my pension i bought the best i could . i rent a small farm croft in the highlands .iv built up to this number as well as 230 rare breed fowl ducks geese etc .been going for 3 yeres ..a lot harder than i thought always skint .finished work 3 yeres ago .had 3 bad hatches and 1 bad winter so things not good Carnot get things to all work together .
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 04:53:38 pm by bamford6 »

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
Re: 12 lambs till yesterday then twins followed by triplets
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 10:45:04 am »
most of us have had a bad winter. we were hit by a bone dry summer that resulted in no silage. so we have had to buyin every mouthful. if the wife did not work we would have been stuffed. but you sound very down at the moment it may be worth having a chat with you doctor. we go this as much for pleasure as we do for money. don't let the winter spoil the better times over the spring and summer. maybe use what you have put up with as a guide to your next winters prep. adter all its not going to always be bad.

bamford6

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 11:16:04 am »
yes the winter has cost us a lot .no grass since december . iff the birds was 100 pecent fertilatey that would off made a big diferance . i dont sell eggs to the incubating people until all is ok . whot i do is charge 10 pound a tray and take youre chance i think some are up to 70 percent at the moment . you said that youre wife worked mine did till christmas .iv got 3 kids at home. the adopted girl 21 been with us form the age off 4 2 lads and 1 that lives up the road 4 in total i dont get much help thats the problem . so im keeping 4 at the moment where do you stay

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 12:43:47 pm »
shetland. we have six kids. only two really help. our croft has been run down for years and having maxed out buying the croft we can't afford to do any of the urgent jobs. like a new septic system. roof, wiring heating. but its not worth the worrying. we have a flock of 80 or so layers and sell to two shops. that really is our only income from the croft. 8 shetlands and 13 sheep at the moment. i can't imagine doing your number of sheep. all that shearing and hoof care. our goal is not to lose any stock over winter. which we have been lucky to do. this has clearly not been the case in some of the hilly areas. lots of patches of wool. at least the gulls and hoodies are going to have a good spring.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 02:03:37 pm »
i have 200 rare breed sheep and 2 rams the 2 rams were bought last september at a cost off 2000 all the money i had for my pension i bought the best i could . i rent a small farm croft in the highlands .iv built up to this number as well as 230 rare breed fowl ducks geese etc .been going for 3 yeres ..a lot harder than i thought always skint .finished work 3 yeres ago .had 3 bad hatches and 1 bad winter so things not good Carnot get things to all work together .
Hey, Gary. Chin up, lad.  It's going to get better.  I'd stop the kids food if they don't help produce it, my man! ;D  Just keep posting on here - it will help to relieve your stress.   I think you have a lot of bottle keeping that many sheep and birds.  It MUST be hard work and you really should get help from the family.  They may not want to live where they do but the alternative for them is to help or go.  I know that's tough talking - that's how I brought my two up.  No offence intended.  My sister lives in Inverness - no interest in gardening or anything outside - too many wee beasties she says! ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 06:06:55 pm »
I really admire you for what you're doing. You've had a hellish winter but it's spring now and things will get better.  You don't say how old the three boys are - but I'm kind of with Annie on this - make a contribution or move on.

Moan to us - a problem shared etc etc

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 06:57:56 pm »
yup have a good moan they are never going to read it.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 07:27:15 pm »
Don't just moan, Gary, sort 'em out! 't least one of them is an adult at 21.  What age are the others?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

bamford6

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2010, 10:02:36 pm »
she lost her house and job being foolish and not saving for a raine day . iff the incubation gets better it wont be a problem . dont claim benifits or things like that just  work through till some think comes along .since then to day 6.15 this morning 3 lots off triplets and 2 sets twins onley 180 to go .i think we have 22 new lambs since thersday checked last thing 9 oclock all carm .i would love to go to shetland to see haw things are farming etc .

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2010, 10:20:50 pm »
Hope the price stays up for you then Gary.  You'd be fine then.  I'm sure the lassie would help you if you asked her to do her bit.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2010, 08:26:02 am »
With lamb losses / sheep losses being high, prices for the survivors should be good. It's an ill wind etc etc. :-\

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2010, 08:31:34 am »
Blimey thats some stock  :o  Hope all bodes well for you, at least now the weather is improving.

On the note of your daughter, it is advisable to sign on, as this pays your stamp for you, very important.   

bamford6

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2010, 09:35:26 am »
the stock we have is  American buckeye - aracuna lavender -
cochin silver cuckoo - croad langshan bantam- dorking silver red white-
duck aylesbury cayuga chilean teal red crested pochard mandarin - geese
hawaian red breasted -hamburg gold laced. -indian game blue
laced. -ixworth. -jersey giant blue. -orpington buff choc lavender black
gold laced. -pekin lemon cuckoo lavender partridge red buff black lavender
cuckoo. -plymouth rock barred. -polish millefleur. - rhode island red. -
quail japanese chinese californian mountain  silkie white black red red bearded
gold blue.-sablepoot gold lemon. - vorwerk. - wyandotte silver gold laced. -
pheasant gold yellow lady amhurst and 200 rare breed sheep 2 dogs 53 pens to water feed start at the moment 5.30 to 6 up to the sheep iadine all the cords new lambs feed .then off to the poultrey stop 11 for an houre dinner breakfast all in 1 then rotate cleaning out the pens last look at the poultrey then back to the sheep 8.15 .thats it .in the summer its 11 to 11.45 as its still light .iff we have chicks them as well . i will keep some lambs and take them up to 250 iff all ok .i still need some breeds off poultrey wether very good warm. The last price we had was 80 pound perth . i have a farmer that comes up from carlile he judges sheep and selects 1s to keep and wich to sell he has 50 everey yere very honest .the dog will run the ducks geese and sheep into pens .the kids will be sorted as soon as the holaday trade pics up .i had them doing the water the last 2 days as its gone dry
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 09:46:41 am by bamford6 »

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
Re: 22 lambs till yesterday then twins followed by triplets
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2010, 10:04:53 am »
hope things work out for you gary,certainly got your hands full good luck

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
Re: 22 lambs till yesterday then twins followed by triplets
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2010, 10:13:06 am »
Wooo eeee thats one helluva list  :o

tell me, do you clean out all the sheep pens every day ?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS