Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: one not suckling  (Read 3592 times)

derbyshirenovices

• Joined Jan 2009
one not suckling
« on: April 09, 2010, 02:38:05 pm »
First time lambing for us. Our two Ryelands have produced and the scene in the two pens couldn't be more different.
This morning's twins are active with their mum and looking good.

Last night the other mum had a long labour with our neighbour the vet intervening in the end, single lamb a bit flat. Eventually things appeared OK - a bit of clumsy suckling. This morning, however, mum and singleton lamb are standing around looking a bit sorry for themselves today - not much interaction, not much noise and no suckling. We've tried directing lamb to the teat and we've now resorted to a packet of ovicol in warm water to make sure that the lamb has something inside her. Has anyione got any advice to help us get these two back onto the straight and narrow?

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
Re: one not suckling
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 03:15:46 pm »
Is it her first lambing?

We have had one very similar, a young first time ewe and her little ram lamb, we gave him feeds at the start every  2 hours and building upand would turn the ewe at some points (not everyone s ideal choice, but hey ho our eye is fundementally on the getting the lamb to suckle and get the taste for mums milk)  This one ewe simply wont let lamb suckle at her side, but we/hes found that she totally happy if he goes through her legs to the milk bar and i think she was a bit cluelss as to wht this little bundle was at her side. He had his last bottle bight before last, his belly is felt to make sure hes feeding,  and he doesnt call us really now when he hears us, but is happy to run up for a tickle  :love:

It ll take time, they may not take, but then again they may, just make sure you are supplementing his feeds.  Use Lamblac  bout 11 quid odd, for jsut over a bottle use 100g of lamblac to 500 ml of water and warm to tepid, or so it s nicely warm on your wrist  :)

I hope he ll be ok.  You can also get tonics to help them, if he still a bit flat.  :D
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 03:18:27 pm by Hellybee »

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 09:39:10 am »
Erm, he did call yesterday eve  for a feed, but we think its because we let them have a good leg stretch in the barn and ewe was far more active, so they still being penned up at night.

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 06:43:11 pm »
bottle feed lamb with powdered colostrum made up, until mum produces milk, or milk off ewe if shes got any ,some of our ryelands were very slow with milk coming

derbyshirenovices

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 07:33:34 pm »
Thanks both for advice.

Yes, a feed of Ovicol and then couple of overnight feeds of Golden Frisky(!) seemed to do the trick. With advice from a more experienced neighbour we heaved the ewe onto its back so that the lamb had an easy route to the teat. A little while later it was then strong enough to latch on and have a good suck with mum standing up. Both spent a nice day out in the sunshine today. What with inexperienced ewes and inexperienced keepers. Great to have a bit of advice from time to time. Thanks again Rosemary and Dan for AS.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 08:40:05 pm »
Great news !  :D

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 07:19:21 am »
I had a problem with two in lamb Ryelands that lost their lambs (premature due to stress).
I mothered two from a friend onto them and the second one wasn't going as well as the first,
I felt the lamb wasn't finding the teat and the ewe was walking off thinking he wasn't
suckling (??)
So I laid her on her side trimmed the wool from around her udder and made sure the teats were
available. Hey Ho problem solved both lambs mothered on very well and are thriving as I write.
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS