Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: When will the veg grow?  (Read 4418 times)

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
When will the veg grow?
« on: April 10, 2010, 05:48:51 pm »
The raised beds are up, the manure was put in a few weeks ago, and I put the 1st seeds in at the end of March. Then, of course, we had frost and snow, so now I dont know if anything will actually grow. So far, there is no sign of anything sprouting although I found some of the garlic cloves lying on top of the earth instead of under.

Talk about impatient - where are my peas, carrots, cabbage and potato shoots . . .

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
Re: When will the veg grow?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 05:49:56 pm »
OOh - after my impatience yesterday I have been for another look today and have definite signs of cabbage, sprouts, garlic and onion - possible carrot and potato.

It always surprises me how one day they just pop up!

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 05:56:39 pm »
 ;D you're not alone, I was getting quite grumpy about lack of shoots from veg patch too. we've now definately got potatoes shoots showing and the radishes, cauliflowers, beetroot and brocolli are taking too.
the rhubarb has gone mad this year so lots of rhubarb and ginger jam! 
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Annie22

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Hoddles Creek
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 10:06:41 pm »
Glad you are starting to see signs.  Impatience happens everywhere.  I have planted my autumn crop so excitedly waiting for them to sprout.  Hopefully the chickens let them grow.

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 10:57:34 pm »
I did find some rhubarb in the garden, but it really belongs to my MIL and I am happy for her to have it - not a fan of it myself.

My cauliflower started off ok in the propagator and now look a bit miserable now I moved them out to the tiny plastic greenhouse/cold frame thing. I dont think they are going to make it. But I have put some seeds direct in the raised beds so will see how it goes.

The squash are getting quite tall but a bit spindly, I need to decide now whether to put them in pots or the ground - still undecided so maybe I will do one of each and see how they grow. And the blueberry bushes have some lovely buds!

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 11:24:54 pm »
I think I could see the first spinach and carrot seedlings today. My supposedly hardy peas have all rotted away, had to put another lot in.... :&>

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 11:29:11 pm »
How do you know they rotted away - how long do you give them before you dig down for a look? My peas are not showing yet, Im wondering whether to plant some more yet or give them a chance?

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 11:45:21 pm »
I put them out under fleece on a nice day just before the last snow hit us. Must have been about 2 weeks ago. I always had some show after that in previous years - but not a single one this year, it just felt too long!  I poked my finger in and found a completely mushy one...evidence. Should any of the first lot show now, no harm done, so much you can do with pea shoots these days :&>

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS