Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Window Propagators  (Read 2494 times)

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
Window Propagators
« on: March 24, 2010, 02:09:26 pm »
Just a quick question - I have some seeds growing on my windowsill in a cheap propagator - plastic lid on plastic tray. It seems to be full of condensation and the plants have water drops on. Should I take the lids off in the day so they dont get too wet and go mouldy, or should they be covered in water?

Olly398

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Herts
    • Brixton's Bounty
Re: Window Propagators
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 02:27:09 pm »
Yeah they like a bit of air IME so open the vents if it has any, or remove lid altogether in daytime. Their indoors so will come to no harm.
also blogging at...

Brixton's Bounty

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 04:44:30 pm »
Surely that is beating the object of the exercise.The rain drops are moisture from the seed growing medium If you remove the lid the moisture evaporates to atmosphere and is lost.No all right then add more water!? ;D :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 05:46:40 pm »
This is why I thought I should check - they were very large water drops on the plants and I didnt know if its possible to drown the seedlings.

Olly398

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Herts
    • Brixton's Bounty
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 11:02:57 am »
No you won't drown them, but Wizard you could end up with seedlings prone to damping off if they are too moist.
also blogging at...

Brixton's Bounty

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 11:49:12 am »
Not suffered from damping off yet olly but there is alust the first time!
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Annie22

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Hoddles Creek
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 10:12:18 pm »
Generally the instructions with the plastic propagators say to open the vents if too much condensation is happening.  If it is warm enough over there take the lid off as well.  If they don't get enough light the seedlings can become leggy.

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 07:43:12 am »
Olly I have a new to me happening.About this time of year I plant in 3" tall sort of plastic pots Scarlet Wonder Kidney Beans.Fill the pot full of compost take a bean and holding it vertical push it down into the compost and press the compost in the pot down firm then top the pot with compost and firm I then make sure the compost is below the pot rim and flood with rain water.I have done this for over 60 years and never had any bother until now.There are beans started to grow so they are split in two and are laid on the top of the compost.The little rootlets and stalk missing.The only thing I can think of is mice so I have put a lid or two of blue wheat about and a small bucket of car anti freeze with a board up to it I have found they like the sweet Etheline glycol and fall in trying to get it and drown.I will report

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS