Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: questions about dorper sheep.  (Read 4531 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
questions about dorper sheep.
« on: October 23, 2015, 09:18:03 pm »
How much would be the average price to pay for a black headed Dorper ewe lamb? and which would be the best breeders to go with? I have seen prices between 175-200 ££s, is this the average? Would be good to know your opinions guys
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
Re: questions about dorper sheep.
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 09:28:33 pm »
They suffer on their feet. Bad thing in West Wales

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2015, 08:02:43 am »
Dorpers are a minority breed here in UK so scarcity means they will command the prices you quote I think

We used a few rams and they are terrible on their feet (bred in an arid climate, the opposite of Wales)
Think we had 4 rams of which 1 never bred because he couldn't walk at tupping time(had to be shot on farm eventually), the other 3 were culled after 1 season because they also had very bad feet problems
If I have a lame ewe now I can put good money on it being related to one of these rams somehow
Just my experience

They look pretty though with they distinctive black head and have good growth rates but poor shedding ability

There is a Dorper society website----go see some sheep if you want some, if you see a permanent footbath setup you will know why

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2015, 08:27:24 am »
A friend who breeds champion Lleyns bought some for her son for Christmas a few years ago, got rid of them by the summer,
bad feet.

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2015, 11:37:52 am »
They were not created with the UK in mind. These sheep are for more arid climes. I am sure in time a few dedicated breeders will make a line that is good on wet ground but that is still a work in progress. Gorgeous looking sheep though!

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2015, 12:12:51 pm »
We used a few rams and they are terrible on their feet (bred in an arid climate, the opposite of Wales)
Think we had 4 rams of which 1 never bred because he couldn't walk at tupping time(had to be shot on farm eventually), the other 3 were culled after 1 season because they also had very bad feet problems
If I have a lame ewe now I can put good money on it being related to one of these rams somehow
Just my experience
Was their bad feet down to footrot, scald or shelly hoof? 

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2015, 01:33:42 pm »
You name it ---they managed to get it in the feet!
I think the problem lies in that they were bred in an arid climate & are probably not used to such wet conditions nor the good grub
Hence the wet encourages scald/rot and their feet do tend to grow a bit faster than other types too
But they do grow well (if you can keep them standing up)

shotblastuk

• Joined May 2013
  • Proper Gloucestershire !!
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2015, 03:43:04 pm »
For the life of me I can't understand why we have over 60 breeds of sheep in this country (some declining rapidly) and people still want to stock sheep breeds from further a field. Can anybody please enlighten me as to the benefits excluding the 'novelty factor' ??  :huff:

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2015, 03:44:12 pm »
For the life of me I can't understand why we have over 60 breeds of sheep in this country (some declining rapidly) and people still want to stock sheep breeds from further a field. Can anybody please enlighten me as to the benefits excluding the 'novelty factor' ??  :huff:

Maybe a new thread?

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2015, 03:49:40 pm »
Thanks for the comments guys, I really appreciate it. They were for a long time a breed I found fascinating. I think I will admire them from afar ;D thanks again by the way guys, always good to hear your opinions.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2015, 03:55:34 pm »

Go to it, Shotblast!  As passionate (OK, some folks might say "barmy") native breed conservationists it's great when someone else takes the baton and runs with it.

shotblastuk

• Joined May 2013
  • Proper Gloucestershire !!
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2015, 03:57:02 pm »

Maybe a new thread?
Your wish is my command :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS