Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: First Lambing Season  (Read 2407 times)

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
First Lambing Season
« on: April 03, 2010, 09:19:40 pm »
Earlier today i was asked by our neighbour if i would supervise the lambing whilst they are visiting friends, so i start at 10 and finish at some ungodly hour.

I have been down and seen the layout, i have the basic knowledge of lambing ewes

but have never been on my own, what should i expect?

Cheers

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
Re: First Lambing Season
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 10:30:30 pm »
Well rather you than me taking on the responsibility of someone else's ewes.  I think it is a bit irresponsible to go away at a time like this.

Make sure you are ok with problem births/prolapses or have a contact or two of somoene who can get the lamb out if any trouble.  I had a close call in the week and only just got there in time to save the lamb.

Saying that, if the ewes have lambed before and the ram used doesn't throw large lambs, you should be ok and they should able to cope.

Best of British!

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 08:29:24 am »
Wow Cameron, thats a great thing on your application to study for being a vet. That another farmer/smallholder is happy to trust you with his flock at the most difficult time of year for it.

You'll be fine, how many ewes does he have and how any are still to lamb? Keep an eye on them, if any show signs of lambing, ie straining or discharge and aren't getting anywhere within about 1/2 an hour, then you will probably have to help them.

If any lamb outside, make sure you keep an eye on them for crows too- horrible horrible creatures.

Beth

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 07:39:42 pm »
Good luck,

I just dont undestand why people would go away when they know the ewes are starting to lamb  ???

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 02:26:51 pm »
I was lucky in that nothing went massivly wrong, i had a still birth but that was it, on the whole a rather quiet.
 I had a list of emergency contacts should i have needed them, and an able dad just up the road. there was only 30 to lamb and 7 went last night. thankfully all the lambing is done inside and they are put out to grass at about 3days depending on size.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS