Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Day 18 do I stop turning tonight?  (Read 17541 times)

QWOLF

• Joined May 2009
  • DOLLAR
Re: Day 18 do I stop turning tonight?
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2010, 08:19:33 am »
morning Helen
i always take out the shell after it has detached from chick dont worry about lifting the lid just be quick mind when the chick is born the humidity goes high as the chick is wet i dont think lifting the lid for a few seconds will do any harm im always worried the chicks will cut themselves on the broken shell? i usually move them to brooder after they have dried of for a few hours in incubator...but thats just me.
Currently haved 3 x 5 months old peking bantams,2 x isa brown, 1 x welsummer and 5 welsummer chicks and thats me at my full quota, their great fun and i think everybody should keep a couple of chooks as there great and the eggs are a bonus  LOL

whitby_sam

• Joined Feb 2008
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2010, 10:33:42 am »
We take ours out as soon as the chick is free. I tend to keep them in the incubator for 24 hours to properly fluff them up and also because they encourage the unhatched chicks to hurry up

Emma

• Joined Feb 2010
  • South West Somerset
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2010, 10:51:41 am »
Hi sorry i am new to this, if i was to order some eggs from someone all i have to do is put them in a incubator for 28 days and make sure they get turned regularly (the incubator i am looking to buy has an automatic rotator on it). Then once they have hatched do they still Need to be under some sort of heat??? If so when are they ready to come off the heat??? Thanks
Emma's Dispatcher's . . . .  Intrested in having you're business advertised with door to door flyer's or newsletters at competitive prices then contact me at emmaogrady@hotmail.co.uk.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2010, 10:54:15 am »
I think you have to keep it closed for 24 hours but I'm no expert.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2010, 11:00:17 am »
Hi sorry i am new to this, if i was to order some eggs from someone all i have to do is put them in a incubator for 28 days and make sure they get turned regularly (the incubator i am looking to buy has an automatic rotator on it). Then once they have hatched do they still Need to be under some sort of heat??? If so when are they ready to come off the heat??? Thanks

You have to have them in a brooder box with a heat lamp. Again it is vital that the heat is at the correct level oo cold or too hot can be fatal, remember do not gice access to a lot of water at the early stages either.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2010, 11:48:20 am »
I hope you have had success by now. Like babies being born, from first signs 'til last takes it's time!! Don't interfere unless you really have to.

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2010, 01:41:41 pm »
2 more piping now. 1st one is in the brooder with the heat lamp. Seems to be doing ok, does fall asleep a lot. Guess that's normal with newborns.
I have got a drinker in there is that a problem? Why not too much water?

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2010, 01:45:52 pm »
They are shakey on their feet and fall over easily for the first while so they could fall in the water and drown. If you have a proper feeder there won't be a problem. Enjoy the experience.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 01:47:27 pm by jameslindsay »

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2010, 01:50:09 pm »
Ahh I see. It's a proper drinker for chicks so should be ok. Chick is lying just outside of the circle of light from the lamp is it too low do you think?

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2010, 01:51:31 pm »
I think all sounds well enough, just keep an eye on him.

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2010, 01:53:51 pm »
I'm sat right next to him.. Thank god for iPhones lol ;D

QWOLF

• Joined May 2009
  • DOLLAR
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2010, 01:56:24 pm »
YOU'LL BE HOPING ITS A HER LOL AL SEEMS TO BE GOING WELL:)

HELLO JAMES HOPE U R WELL:)
Currently haved 3 x 5 months old peking bantams,2 x isa brown, 1 x welsummer and 5 welsummer chicks and thats me at my full quota, their great fun and i think everybody should keep a couple of chooks as there great and the eggs are a bonus  LOL

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2010, 01:59:57 pm »
Yeah i suppose i will. Another one is piping now.. Eggciting... ;D

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2010, 02:01:51 pm »
YOU'LL BE HOPING ITS A HER LOL AL SEEMS TO BE GOING WELL:)

HELLO JAMES HOPE U R WELL:)

I am well John, thanks. Hope you and the family are well too.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2010, 02:02:25 pm »

21 days for chickens!
Give or take....
Little Blue

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS