Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: earth hour  (Read 8088 times)

Simon O

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Bonkle
Re: earth hour
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2010, 11:08:40 pm »
We did know Kermit

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2010, 11:09:19 pm »
I am too, but I still switched off my lights.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2010, 09:28:07 am »
Hey up Karen Talk about Bluddi Kidology.Statement of fact.If we are not in a room we turn off the light ALL THE BULBS IN OUR HOUSE are Low Energy saver bulbs.We only boil enough water to make the amount of cups of drink we need.I always turn the gas off when the food is nearly done so it is not over cooked potatoes still continue to cook in their ex-boiling water.We never use the washing machine partially loaded .Why do we mess about like this.EASY ITS WHY MY GAS AND ELECTRICITY BILLS ARE £100 A QUARTER!  So we have 1000000 people all using low energy bulbs and they turn them off for 1 hour wow thats 7 million watts saved Thinks 7M = 7000kw Oh heck thats 1 electric cooker not being used for an hour What a saving.You can kid some of the people.Fortunately some can think for them selves :o :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Eagledance

• Joined May 2009
  • Fife
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2010, 10:09:13 am »
You can kid some of the people.Fortunately some can think for them selves :o :farmer:

Sadly an ironic statement given that your maths are wrong by a factor of 1000!

at 7000Kw for 1 hour that is 7000KwH or 7000units!! That is one hell of an oven using more electricity in one hour than my household uses in 2 years!!

ED
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 10:12:37 am by Eagledance »
Live well: Laugh often: Love much

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2010, 10:26:12 am »
I think what Wizard was saying is that, it is common sense to switch off something you are not using as you can see the results through the electricity bill. It is another case of preaching to the preached and a show of arent "I a good government" and "Look at me". I dont need to prove anything as my concience is clear and anyway I dont like being told what to do by organisations that probably used up more resources advertising the fact than it saved!Obviously not very well ::) :D It is now a beautiful day here so I am going to destroy a patch of peat moor for my cooking heating and water.Well, power has to come from somewhere! But saying that I have planted a lot of trees to compensate and had a quote for a wind turbine.Which is definately in the pipeline for the near future, so I can leave all my lights on then.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2010, 11:03:53 am »
It is another case of preaching to the preached and a show of arent "I a good government"
But it wasn't anything to do with teh Government.  It was initiated by teh World Wildlife Fund http://earthhour.wwf.org.uk/
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2010, 01:16:42 pm »
Now that sez it all don't it ;D ;D
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2010, 01:21:37 pm »
Made you bluddi think though didn't it eagle and its still a infinitesimal amount in the grand scheme of things My oven uses about 1 watt for its timer.

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2010, 02:06:54 pm »
Simon O , sorry just got the joke :D :pig:(no frog so put miss piggy there)

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2010, 02:12:40 pm »
Wizard, just shows, does it not, how much telly I watch!  :wave:
 Knew I should have coughed up more monthly cash after the WWF kept pestering me to up my monthly payments instead of cancelling.I would be in the know then. ::)

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2010, 09:46:24 pm »
To me, earth hour isn't just about switching off for an hour. It's a reminder of previous time, when we didn't have all the comforts we have now, and when we didn't have electricity. I think most people on here do all the things mentioned above, of course we switch stuff off when it's not being used, and fill the washing machine full. Personally, I used the earth hour to remind us of what comforts we have and that we shouldn't abuse it them/our environment too much.

Beth

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2010, 12:02:37 am »
Well said, Beth, exactly what I felt too but didn't express it so well.

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2010, 09:07:11 am »
Well I don't know Beth or Annie as I ride about the country side and visit friends and relatives most of their houses are lit up like Christmas Trees I called on Brian last week and he was bawling the OH and 18 and 22 year old kids out because every light was switched on in the house and they were in the lounge watching Eastenders.Thats what maybe upset him the program they were watching!I feel I would have little bother in returning to the life style of the 1940's but where are the fire places what about smokeless zones and I see paraffin is £3.50p a litre in some garden centers Perhaps we could use candles?Think of all the coal we haven't access to nowadays.I am sorry I feel there is no going back.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2010, 10:48:20 pm »
I don't think there's a going back either. For which I am sorry for too. But, we need to look at different things, how can we stop using as much, or what alternatives can we come up with.

I knew exactly what you meant Annie, and it felt to me like people couldn't see that  :)

Beth

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2010, 05:35:20 pm »
Thanks, Beth.  I do all I can to recycle - and not just in the recycle bins.  My dogs get old clothes and bedding to sleep on for instance.  And I turn off lights that aren't necessary, but I still felt the need to make a stance for Earth Hour.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS