Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Scottish breeds/types/crosses - fleeces for spinning  (Read 1703 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Scottish breeds/types/crosses - fleeces for spinning
« on: September 15, 2015, 03:18:25 pm »
A heads-up that after the very successful Tour of British Fleece just completed, the same group of spinners are starting to put together a Highlands and Islands Fling for early 2016.

The premise will be to get hold of and spin the fleece of Scottish Highlands and Islands breeds, types and crosses of sheep.

The Fling will start on Burns' night and finish early March.  Spinners will be wanting to get fleece sourced, shared and washed before that.

On the off-chance that some of you may still have fleeces available, I thought I'd let you know.  If you are taking fleece to the Scottish Smallholder Show, it would be good to know what's going.

The idea behind these events is to spread the awareness and knowledge of our wonderful assortment of British sheep, with so many spinnable useful fleeces to choose from.  As the Aviva Tour of Britain is probably unlikely to ever have a stage on the Scottish Islands, the Fling is to enable the Island sheep to get the same exposure.

I shall x-post in Sheep & Marketplace and, unusually, leave all threads open for comment, as there are at least three different angles of discussion!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
Re: Scottish breeds/types/crosses - fleeces for spinning
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 05:39:30 pm »
Hi Sally I will be taking shetland and castlemilk fleece to Lanark and a couple for the fleece demo  :thumbsup:
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Scottish breeds/types/crosses - fleeces for spinning
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 05:57:38 pm »
 :thumbsup:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS