Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Highlands & Islands Fleece Fling  (Read 1510 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Highlands & Islands Fleece Fling
« on: September 17, 2015, 12:34:47 pm »
We all had so much fun doing the (virtual) Tour of British Fleece during the Aviva Tour of Britian cycle race, we are now starting to plan a Highlands & Islands Fleece Fling.

We expect to start on Burns' Night and stop somewhen (tbd) in early March.

On the Tour, we wanted to encourage people to get out and try their local sheep, as well as spread the love and knowledge of all our wonderful breeds and types. I span, and shared, some sheep-local-to-the-route, and was pleased to see some others spinning sheep that grazed alongside the route, too - irrespective of breed.

But this is different. It is feasible but perhaps less likely that the Tour of Britain would be able to get to the Scottish Islands - though maybe it might make the Highlands sometime - so this event gives us a chance to get to know the sheep of the Highlands and Islands.

So we are planning to spin Scottish breeds and types, including crosses found in Scotland, ideally but not necessarily sourced from Scotland.

So, for instance, I’ll spin my North Ronaldsay from Northumberland (but would love to get hold of a bit of a fleece from an island sheep to compare.)

As ever, the active discussions and fleece info and swaps is on Ravelry, but if you aren't a Raveller and are interested, by all means post and discuss here :)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS