Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: "Paddock" usage - advice needed  (Read 28932 times)

WiltshireWanderer

• Joined Sep 2015
"Paddock" usage - advice needed
« on: September 13, 2015, 12:17:08 am »
Hello helpful people, at least you appear to be from forum!

I'm trying to understand the term "Paddock" as used by an estate agent. My partner and I are interested in buying a house in Wiltshire that comes with a 3.5 acre paddock.  We would very much like to grow veg - some in open air and some in a poly tunnel, keep chickens, have a small orchard (4 to 6 trees), plant a wild flower meadow and put a shed to store tools on the 'paddock' land.

Currently the land has been left to go to grass, although kept a reasonable length (1 foot).

I'm guessing the term paddock just means agricultural use, maybe with a right to graze horses, but can we do all the stuff we want to (mainly the fruit trees, poly tunnel and shed)?

Any insights would gratefully received.  Even if just advice on who to ask for an official answer!

caz

• Joined Jun 2010
Re: "Paddock" usage - advice needed
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 10:08:52 am »
I think they use the term paddock for small fields. Pretty sure you will need planning permission for any sheds and poly tunnels.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 10:55:51 am »
You need to check with the planning authority whether is is designated for agricultural or equine use as that will make a difference to what you can do.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Cosmore

• Joined Jun 2015
  • Dorset
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 11:01:22 am »
Definition according to Black's agricultural dictionary - Paddock : A relatively small enclosed pasture, usually near the farm buildings.

However, the usage of the term paddock varies, possibly the estate agent is using the term in order to maximise appeal to livestock owners and attract horse owners (who are used to the term 'Horse Paddock') who often will pay more for pasture land which tends to be in short supply for horse use.

mart6

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Notts / Yorkshire border
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 02:52:12 pm »
Paddock is almost always agricultural land meaning it is not within the curtilge of the house.
The uses you describe should be fine.
Whatever you do do not place anything that could be classed as residential on the site.
If you do and the council arrive  it will open a massive can of worms

Paddocks sometimes have equine use ie have planning permission for a stable but most do not they have field shelters
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 02:54:34 pm by mart6 »

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2015, 04:05:30 pm »
Theses days paddock is used by estate agents like cottage, just a cute countrified sounds more expensive jargon word.  The previous answers are all valid but it really depends on the use age accepted by the local planning authority and their interpretation on planning regs. Might be worth asking your local authority what the useage is.

mart6

• Joined Sep 2014
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2015, 07:37:06 pm »
Sometimes the information you receive from the council (how do i put this politely) is not always factually correct and you may find some planning officers are quite clueless

Cosmore

• Joined Jun 2015
  • Dorset
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2015, 03:23:33 pm »
Sometimes the information you receive from the council (how do i put this politely) is not always factually correct and you may find some planning officers are quite clueless
Yes I'll go along with that - to be sure try and get their answer in writing - if you can convince the council official to commit themselves......(unlikely, Lol.)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2015, 05:25:05 pm »
Paddock is almost always agricultural land meaning it is not within the curtilge of the house.

Agree

The uses you describe should be fine.

Do not agree.  My experience was some years ago, but digging veg beds in agricultural land was a no-no; veg beds are domestic.

Whatever you do do not place anything that could be classed as residential on the site.

Agree.

If you do and the council arrive
or one of the neighbours takes agin you and reports you
it will open a massive can of worms

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

mart6

• Joined Sep 2014
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2015, 06:47:21 pm »
Yes I'll go along with that - to be sure try and get their answer in writing - if you can convince the council official to commit themselves......(unlikely, Lol.)
Agree 100% gets better when you ring up tell them you are recording the conversation
3/1 the line goes dead

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2015, 07:07:00 pm »
Totally get the comments re local authorities nonetheless they are the arbitrators so you either make tactful enquiries of them or make some subtle but not too expensive changes and wait for the knock at the door. 

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2015, 07:29:40 pm »
Read the legal pack? Estate agent/solicitor's information pack?  House Buyers Report?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

mart6

• Joined Sep 2014
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2015, 10:35:27 pm »
Would you believe everything a council head planning officer or enforcement officer told you ?

I sat in the council offices with a head planner and a enforcement officer for a hour and twenty mins and was shocked when they gave me incorrect information several times.
Got quite heated to the stage where they had to refer to planning journals only to find themselves lacking in the fact department.

Whole affair is still ongoing and the two officers have made a statement of case, which if they follow through will mean both of them telling porkies.

Should be interesting as i will publish everything after the appeal is decided by the planning inspector
but i think people will be shocked to see what can happen

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2015, 08:11:11 am »
Would you believe everything a council head planning officer or enforcement officer told you?

There are are honest and dishonest people in every profession and bad experiences can make you very wary.  But to go back to the original question 'paddock' has no legal meaning so to understand how the land can be used Wiltshirewanderer needs to find out the designation from their solicitor or the planning office directly.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS