Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Planning permission or not?  (Read 6830 times)

Tamsjute

• Joined Jun 2015
Planning permission or not?
« on: June 24, 2015, 07:56:26 pm »
Hi,
I am hoping to build some sheds to house sheep/horses and poultry as well as store feed.
Originally  we called the planning office - in North Lanrkshire, where we live, and asked about planning permission for stables, as this would double up and serve all purposes. The planning department were very vague and didn't really seem to know what they were talking about and we were left with no answer either way (unless it was for business purposes or a huge building, we'd need planning).
Talking to a neighbour, who has farmed for years, she said make an application for sheds to house animals, rather than stables, as equestrian housing would be a different matter and a building an agricultural building to house sheep as well as ponies and store feed would be easier and posibly less pricey to obtain permission - this is also what I have been reading on the council's website.
I'm confused and not sure how to go about it all, and what would work out for the best. Originally we said 3 12x12 stables and a store room to the side of them- so not a huge building. My ponies don't enjoy staying in and most of the time they would be used for other purposes, such as lambing and storage and possibly housing poultry at times.
Any ideas what I can build?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Planning permission or not?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 08:42:28 pm »
This is the advice I got from a planning officer back in 2008. I would doubt things have changed mush since then in this regard.

"Rosemary, the tests of whether PP is required in this case are basically:
Is the building for an agri purpose on an agri unit  of more than 0.4Ha?
Would the building plus any others erected in the last 2 years exceed 265sqm?
Would any part of the building be within 25m of a metalled portion of a classified road?
Would the height of the building exceed 12m?

If the answer is NO to all of these questions, then no PP is required.  Hope that helps. "

If it's any help, we loose house our ponies in a section of the barn. They seem to prefer to be part of the herd than in boxes and the barn is light and airy for them. It also gets used for cattle, sheep, meat chicks, hay storage etc etc

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 10:04:41 pm »
For an agricultural building you do, however, still need to put in a prior notification application, even though planning permission is not required. We have just been through this and I think it was a £75 fee. They want to know how the proposed building relates to your business. Ours was for a hay store and barn for the goats and sheep and the inspecting officer was a bit concerned that it might be useable for horses in the future but in the end he decided that we didn't need prior approval so can go ahead.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Cazas1

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 06:31:08 am »
I've been discussing and indeed trying to get prior notification or planning consent since 2003, I'm constantly refused prior notification or planning but will given temporary planning consent by Falkirk council which ran for 3 years, unfortunately some moron de idea to burn all my building down and I'm now back in the planning/prior notification minefield. I've spoke to planning aid Scotland which if your really unsure would be my best bit of advise to anyone, they're a charity funded by local governments and run by ex planners. At the moment I'm still on clearing up duties and have an architect doing elevations etc for me ( poorly because I do t know how to) so once my sunshine holiday with my family is over in August my application will be going in again, this time I've been advised by a planning consultant ( from planning aid) to put a application in for the whole site e.g barn, animal shed, polytunnels, poultry housing and dwelling on a full planning application and if that's refused to go for temporary planning for a dwelling and prior notification for the Agri buildings. So although this is going to be a long drawn out process I am hopeful of some positive results in September and concrete bases going down  for erection of said building ???????? I do however strongly believe that the planning mine field is totally dependant on which local authority.  Your holding sits as each one decodes the planning jargon for themselves, my experience though has been that Clackmannan and Stirling council tend to put up as many. Barriers as possible and I'd go as far as to say the Clackmannon council are extremely close to if not on the ball of bullying and harassment to gets,all holders removed, good luck with your endeavours everyone ???? I will update on 31/8/15 as to my. Situation with planners.

Loraine

• Joined Aug 2015
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 09:48:07 pm »
If you put your stables on skids you don't need planning permission.   Check out some of the company's that make mobile field shelters.
Hope this helps.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2015, 06:51:16 am »
Our local authority have been known to insist that buildings on skids are moved regularly and not just a few feet sideways.  I think that a ratty councilor must drive past the fields frequently.

mart6

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Notts / Yorkshire border
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2015, 09:22:54 am »
Do not know if Scotland is different
Next door to me had large double field shelter 24x12, wooden you would of thought it was to big to move in one piece. Just had normal wooden skids.
All he did was lift shed up put round fence posts under every 6ft then just pulled it to new position with land rover was a breeze.
If its mobile you do not need planning permission
Do not modify the ground it sits on ie no hard core
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 09:24:46 am by mart6 »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS