Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Car Shopping  (Read 9914 times)

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
Re: Car Shopping
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2015, 09:27:42 pm »
I have already got a 4x4 nissan xtrail... had to do 8 hours in it today...but it's nowhere as nice as my aged defunct motor was/is/will be.

I'm worried about Audis now... after that 8 hrs driving I worry that buying an Audi turns people into driver dickheads....or perhaps just the ones that buy white Audis....

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2015, 09:47:27 pm »
I have already got a 4x4 nissan xtrail... had to do 8 hours in it today...but it's nowhere as nice as my aged defunct motor was/is/will be.

I'm worried about Audis now... after that 8 hrs driving I worry that buying an Audi turns people into driver dickheads....or perhaps just the ones that buy white Audis....

Audi drivers are assh*les .. there is a fab quote that sums em up "if you ever feel useless, just remember someone is employed to put indicators in audis" : :roflanim:

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2015, 09:58:59 pm »

Audi drivers are assh*les .. there is a fab quote that sums em up "if you ever feel useless, just remember someone is employed to put indicators in audis" : :roflanim:
I think its the ones who drive mercs which are the worst, I had someone pull out right in front of the car my dad was driving, so he had to stop suddenly and let her out she never even acknowledged us. :rant: I also think though that its not necessarily the type of car, but the type of driver. By the way Pgkevet have you managed to source a car yet? What kind of 4x4 do you want?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2015, 05:42:11 am »
WBF - I don't want a 4x4. I've got a 4x4. What I want is a nice. nippy, fun , automatic sporty thing that I fit in comfortably....

..what i'll probably end up with is a boringly sensible and economic spare car and several years of failing to take my 200sx apart and fix it myself.... I'll start and then run out of ability with rusting bits of car spread all over one of the barns....

Archeologists of the future will assume its some sort of offering to a car-go cult and spend centuries trying to figure out relationships to planet configuarations and sunrise times.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2015, 07:18:35 am »
Archeologists will have lots of evidence found around the country for this cult.  Here there are two offerings with the sons 1948 Riley which got stripped and then he found a girlfriend just as he started to put it back together... and OH still has to replace the engine on the 29 yr old Landy.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2015, 07:40:27 am »
Yup. We have a "Polo Field". Not as unrelated as it may first sound!  ;D
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2015, 09:34:31 am »
My suggestion :  Skoda Superb  (volkswagon audi engines etc)without the audi image.

Larger than a 5 series;  estate and 4x4 available if you want.  Excellent ride quality, 50 plus MPG even with the 170bhp version.  Really roomy inside...I think they are on the A5 or A6 floor plan.

Just been to the French alps in mine , 5 of us, roof box 7 bikes,  effortless.

On our 4th skoda---a much older superb, a yeti 4x4 (also excellent)  now have Octavia for wife and superb estate for me.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 09:42:21 am by stufe35 »

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2015, 12:56:46 pm »
My parents were czech. Just as an interesting fact the word 'skoda' is used in the czech language as a word for 'a shame' or 'a pity'. And back in the days before VW took them over the classic skoda 1000MB was colloquially refered to as 'The skoda thousand little aches and pains'....
..but my sister has an octavia and swears by it.

The good news:
The engineering co that refused to help fix my car rang up... they had the wrong end of the stick and assumed it was a drift car. Now they've realised it's used as an ordinary road going vehicle they're keen to help get it sorted and are picking it up tomorrow.. they recognise how rare good working examples are now.

So the pressure is off car buying ..perhaps just something cheap and secondhand as a spare car for now...mine may take a while to get done

adrian007

• Joined Dec 2013
    • Axe Head Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2015, 09:32:20 pm »
The Volkswagon diesel engines are alot of fun, so if you can fit in any of them it's worth it.

You haven't mentioned Volvo V70's - get one of the high HP ones and they're fun, comfey and fast.

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
  • WARNING,,,MAY SAY WHAT HE BELIEVES
    • Facebook
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2015, 09:45:16 pm »
whats a new car  ;D i love my old ford ranger…..

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2015, 05:32:42 am »
The Volkswagon diesel engines are alot of fun, so if you can fit in any of them it's worth it.

You haven't mentioned Volvo V70's - get one of the high HP ones and they're fun, comfey and fast.

When my daughter was in primry school she once came back to tell us about mummies and daddies 'cos she'd been learning about Volvos and tentacles.

Theres nothing small, light and sporty about a V70 unless you have a very large angle grinder at home....

I'll admit the last VWs I drove were 40 yrs ago...perhaps another look...

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2015, 03:55:56 pm »

Ive never seen the words Volvo and fun used in the same sentence before ! :excited:

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2015, 06:29:47 pm »

Ive never seen the words Volvo and fun used in the same sentence before !

Scandinavia where running around naked in the snow flagellating yourself with birch twigs is also called fun.

adrian007

• Joined Dec 2013
    • Axe Head Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2015, 09:32:52 pm »
It's fair enough - volvo's are only fun if you have the high BHP types,. :-)

All the audi's/skodas/vw/seats etc have the same engines - the diesel engine is torqy as anything!

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2015, 12:55:53 am »
After a lot of dithering .. it's been almost a month trying to make up my mind.. I finally made the decision today and bought a GT86 1 year old. The nearest automatic one I fancied was 80 mies away and i happened to be going (almost)  that way on wednesday and dropped by to have another sit and check comfort.
The repair pace hasn't even lifted the bonnet of my nissan yet (i'd heard they were slow..) so by the time that's fixed and then probably resprayed and the inside tidied up and after all that money spent on it perhaps upgraded with some seat heaters and a newer still radio etc system... I'll be more playing with it than driving it.

I made the decision re new car today and should get it delivered to me midweek once the money transfer has gone through and it's been servced and valeted etc and the maps updated ( couldn't use a debit card for that amount via the phone). Of course it;s totally impractical. No-one can sit in the back seats with me in the front and the boot space is tiny. Perhaps I'll be good and not drive a nice shiney car with my wellies on for a few weeks and avoid filling it with doghair......

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS