Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: bacon  (Read 2575 times)

irenemcc

• Joined Sep 2013
  • H
bacon
« on: August 31, 2015, 02:18:47 pm »
Anyone know if I can cure pork for bacon after it has been frozen. Got 2 pieces curing at present from the pigs slaughtered recently but if it works would like to try again. Rest of pork is all in the freezer now.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: bacon
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 02:22:33 pm »
I have been told t[size=78%]hat pork cures better once it has been frozen because the freezing process helps to break down the fibres and therefore the cure gets into the meat more easily[/size]
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

The Mobile Butcher

• Joined Jan 2010
  • Whitby North Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 07:38:39 pm »
I have not ever cured after the pork has been frozen,  but I agree, there is no reason why you can't. ..... I would pad/pat dry the pork before putting the salt/cure onto the pork.
hope all goes well :thumbsup:
Paul - The Mobile Butcher

The Idiot

• Joined Oct 2015
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 01:58:13 pm »
I'd say around 75 per cent of the bacon I make is from frozen bellies. I've often read that in regions where pigs might be susceptible to Trichinella Spiralis (not the UK) it's best to freeze the pork before curing and smoking.

Freezing will affect the cellular structure, but I certainly don't detect any difference in cure time, taste or texture between bacon made from fresh or frozen bellies.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS