Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: skins?  (Read 6944 times)

The Chicken Lady

• Joined Mar 2008
  • Cheshire
skins?
« on: June 03, 2008, 07:18:13 pm »
This may seem a silly question - when sheep are slaughtered do they take the skin and fleece off so that you can make rugs or do they just take the fleece off. I have just got a bit confused as with pigs they leave the skin on and just do something to the hair on the skin - don't they :-\ ??? :-[
Karen

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
Re: skins?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 08:05:51 pm »
The slaughterers take skin and fleece in 1 piece just like you see in a sheepskin rug (tho cleaned washed and softend) they normally keep the skin as part of payment if you wish to keep the skin the slaughter charge USUALLY if not always goes up
Ian

The Chicken Lady

• Joined Mar 2008
  • Cheshire
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 09:50:55 pm »
Yes when I mentioned on the phone that I wanted to keep the fleece he said the charge would go up but I did no ask by how much. I thought fleeces where not fetching much these days  :-\
Karen

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 11:11:38 pm »
I read in a smallholder magazine ( can't remember which one) that the writer sold hers for £40 a piece but i see them at agricultural shows for a lot less AND they usually have plenty in stock
Ian

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 12:25:34 pm »
You should pay no more than an extra fiver to have your skin back.....in fact many abattoirs do not charge extra!
You need to collect it as soon as possible and no longer than 3 hours after slaughter. Get skins home and place wool side down on a pallet under cover eg in a garage and then its 1kg salt per skin.........and thats just a start! Google Fenland sheepskins, ring them and ask for June Tinnion (well in advance of taking your sheep to the abattoir!) She will tell you what to do! Then post them to June and they will make the most glorious sheepskin rugs you have ever seen that you can sell for in excess of £50 :o IF you have Jacob sheep, coloured sheep of any other description OR wiggly wool sheep like wensleydales, about £80 is easily obtained! :o :o
I sell all my skins and those of other smallholders.....they are very valuable so do not let them go!!!
Please get in contact with me if you need more help!
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 10:34:17 am »
sheep skins are lovly i have one under my feet as i type it a welsh black i got this from friend for some work i did for her and it lovely to play with my feet.
Not sure where they came from  but it was down in Devon direction that she get her skins done .Shes from Herefordshire and  because they are so lovely done.

Blacksheep

• Joined May 2008
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 11:28:34 am »
I had 4 lambskins tanned last summer at the only approved organic tannery in Herefordshire, quite pricey but it does mean that no toxic chemicals were used in the tanning making the lambskins safe for using as baby comfort rugs.  We didn't have to pay the abattoir for the skins, unfortunately this abattoir closed down during FMD, so will need to check the situation with the one we are using now, one of them won't actually let you have them saying they are not permitted too - there is a Defra licence/form you have to fill in to take them away which the tannery need. I was also advised that after September Zwartbles moult so the skins would no longer be suitable for tanning - I think they may start moulting earlier than some other breeds - I don't notice them losing any fleece though!

Woolly Shepherd I would be interested in knowing more about how you market/sell your fleeces, I would like to get some more done this year however the cost of tanning £28 + return transport/postage means that quite a good return is needed on the skins if they are being tanned to sell.

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 11:13:00 am »
okay i just got details for the one my friend uses

devonia in buckfastleigh very g d  01364643355 not sure if they are the same people but have heard good things about them

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2008, 05:38:49 pm »
Devonia are ok.....prefer Fenland in Somerset myself!........reason is they are a small independent tannery....Devonia are part of Axminster carpets!!
The organic one in Herefordshire are ok too!!
Fenland are non chrome tanning, we have lots done for babies.....lovely they are too!

Marketing..........well I market mine on the lack of mileage (born, killed and tanned in Somerset).......the breeds,............the rarity eg black wensleydale etc Also did you know the majority of skins sold in UK come from China?..........sell them as a great British product!
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS