Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Getting some hens !  (Read 4349 times)

HappyHippy

Getting some hens !
« on: March 19, 2010, 11:27:42 am »
Many thanks to Dobber  ;D ;D ;D
I'm off to Dunfermline on Sunday to pick up the free coop, run and hens that were advertised - so I'm finally getting started with some chooks. (Annie - it's ALL your fault, if you hadn't given me some of your fabby eggs I wouldn't have realised exactly what I was missing !  ;) ;D)
So I've been reading up on older posts, getting my 'Starting with smallholding' book out for a read through and am all ready to go ! There are 2 hens, currently living in half of a 6 x 4 shed with a 6 x 6 outside run, we're going to keep them confined to the run for the moment (they're going to be in the garden and I don't want them eating my plants lol!) - can I comfortably add another 2 hens or do you think the size would need to be increased ?
I feel as if I'm finally getting somewhere  ;) We've got the pigs all sorted and out in the field - how fantastic to see them all running round enjoying the sunshine. The polytunnel cover has arrived (but we'll have to wait til the wind dies down a bit before attempting to put it on !) and I'm even starting to think about getting some seeds sown - spring must finally be here ! So for the moment it's full steam ahead - until junior makes their arrival on or around June 14th  ;)
Life is good   :pig: :chook: :farmer: ;D

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Getting some hens !
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 11:40:47 am »
My 8 chooks are all in a garden shed at night - 6' x 4ft with rungs installed in the corners for perches, as well as a shelf the full length - it's used 'cos there's poop on it every day!  Loads of room, could have another 10 in there nae bother!  Their run is just earth/sand with straw on top to absorb the wet - size about 36ft x 12ft.  Again loads of room but I let them out to play most afternoons if I'm here - on half an acre.  They don't do much damage except they've ruffled up all the dead leaves and composted bark from the bottom of the slope to have their dust baths - who in their right minds puts bark on a slope duh?  Was there when I came, but I have 'terracing' PLANS!!!  Great to hear your plans are coming together, Karen - these eggs are great aren't they - just sooooo yellow!!!!!! and soooo tasty! 
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sagehen

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Warwickshire
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 03:28:01 pm »
Ahhh brilliant news Karen. Nothing nicer than your own eggs, and you'll also be entertained by their antics.  ;D ;D I'd say, for the moment, it'd be okay to add 2 more, but really they'd need more space soon, so if you can extend the run later, that'll be okay.

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 03:33:02 pm »
Congratulations Karen!  You will love them..and the eggs x
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 04:52:50 pm »
Karen you will love them. I started off by rescuing one and felt sorry for her being on her own. I now have 10 hens and 1 cockerel. I love the sound they make and love to watch them go about their business. Have fun.

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 05:30:00 pm »
Thanks folks  ;D
I KNOW I'm going to want more than 2, probably even more than 4  ;) but I think until I get them out free ranging in the field with the kune kunes I'll stick to 2, or well, maybe 3 !  ;D

Trying not to get too excited about eggs - just yet. I'm sure they'll be a bit off for a few days after their move, but the girls have got baskets looked out already for 'egg hunts' lol ! think they're maybe over optimistic with the size of the baskets though ;)
Ooooo James, I'd LOVE a cockerel (*so jealous*) but because we have a neighbour who's bedroom is quite close to our garden I just can't inflict that on them (yet ;) ;D) maybe once they're out in the field eh ?

I've just been out speaking to the old vitality vampire (otherwise known as my mother >:() who THINKS she know's all there is to know about everything !  ::)
After her rantings, can I just get a bit of reassurance from all you sane people that I don't need an Animal Movement Licence to move 2 chooks ?

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 05:42:40 pm »
Karen your mum is talking rubbish, as far as I know. I think perhaps if you were moving MANY then perhaps you would need paperwork. Charlie, my cockerel is just over a year but has now started fighting with me at times. He just jumps at me for no reason and I try frighten him off, I am hoping he will get the hint the bugger that he is.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 05:56:12 pm »
Must be Spring James, Jamie is doing that too, and the hens and him are attacking Freckles and Bobby too - from the rear  ;D
You only need a poultry licence if you have 50 or more, Karen, so tell your Mum she's talking through a hole in the back of her neck!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2010, 06:13:03 pm »
love the name ;)
Langdon ;)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2010, 06:26:18 pm »
Do you mean my Jamie?  He's called after my favourite chef Jamie Oliver.   ;)

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2010, 06:43:56 pm »
Must be Spring James, Jamie is doing that too, and the hens and him are attacking Freckles and Bobby too - from the rear  ;D
You only need a poultry licence if you have 50 or more, Karen, so tell your Mum she's talking through a hole in the back of her neck!

I was hoping it would be a seasonal thing. At first he used to frighten me but now I just chase him, sometimes though he won't back down and keeps coming for more. He is a big boy. My new goose laid 2 eggs so I have put them in the incubator, fingers crossed.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS