Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Black Texels  (Read 6015 times)

namethatsheep

• Joined Jul 2015
Black Texels
« on: July 29, 2015, 08:57:00 pm »
Yes, I mean Black Texels not Blue Texels. I went to the Carnwath Show (South Lanarkshire) last Saturday and there were at least five Black Texels (two tups and three gimmers). Head and legs completely black with dark brown wool. Apparently, the sheep were descended from Texel x Shetland (black) some generations ago. The stock had the conformation of Texels and apart from colour there is nothing to suggest the Shetland heritage. I was advised that BT x BT generates as many all white as all black off-spring with no balance in favour of tups. It therefore seems to me that there is no colour dominance. I wished that I had had the camera to share some shots.  I've never been a fan of Texels (or indeed continental breeds) but these sheep have almost changed my view - amazing what a change of colour can do in altering the appearance and profile of the familiar.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 08:32:25 pm by namethatsheep »

Coximus

• Joined Aug 2014
Re: Black Texels
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 09:30:30 pm »
Ive had black lambs out of Hebrideans on pedigree texel (my ram escaped and out-rammed the texel rams) and I had to buy the resulting lambs.
They were basically Black texels but with narrow heads and horns.

used the tup (black) from this mating as a breeding tup and he throws 3/4 hebs but with an extra 5-7kg on that finish in 8 months not 14, and on a texel he gives 3/4 texels that are usually black or mottled (never pure white) and look just like a texel

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 12:08:07 am »
This go's to prove the old and sometimes rare breeds still have a place in the modern commercial flock/ breeding system!

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 08:32:43 am »
I have a friend who keeps blue texels, they're much nicer than the normal ones. I considered keeping some meself, but decided no when i thought how delicious my own sheep taste and how much prettier my own sheep are. I didn't know that you could get black texels, i guess you learn something new every day. :)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

namethatsheep

• Joined Jul 2015
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2015, 09:17:36 pm »
Here's a photo of a black texel lamb

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2015, 09:31:30 pm »
where is his piggy nose?
Is it time to retire yet?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2015, 10:03:11 pm »
I'd like to get hold of some fleece...  :excited: :spin: :knit:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2015, 06:30:54 am »
I put a texel over my Jacob ewes and was surprised to get jet black lambs who have faded to a rich chocolate brown. And lovely chunky lambs they are too.

Slimjim

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Devon
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2015, 06:58:18 am »
I have found the  Jacob black is always dominant, whether from the tup on white fleece ewes or as has happened this year, a Hampshire tup on my Jacob ewes. Completely black lambs in both cases.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2015, 10:00:26 am »
I put a texel over my Jacob ewes and was surprised to get jet black lambs who have faded to a rich chocolate brown. And lovely chunky lambs they are too.

One of our neighbours has Jacobs as well as Texels and yes, all the first cross offspring are black.  I've had one or two nice fleeces off them too ;)  :excited: :spin:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2015, 01:17:46 pm »
I once crossed a lleyn tup with a zwartbles ewe and the ewe lamb from that cross was stunning, jet black with a beautiful confirmation. I took her to mart and got next to nothing from her cause of her colour :rant: I should have sold her to more appreciative folk like yourselves :)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS