Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lamb price  (Read 10421 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: Lamb price
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2015, 03:40:57 pm »
I dont take into consideration lamb prices thats silly.

Yes, I told them that until Tesco lowers their selling prices, neither will I.  I think it was just somebody who had watched Countryfile and now thought they know everything there is to know about sheep TBH  ;).
I had a few people say my cheese was too expensive and that they could get it in the supermarket, I had to explain to them about why its unique. After I explained, in the nicest way I could I was actually fuming, they walked off as ignorant as can be. The point to this tale is your product is unique and dont let other people dictate prices, as they clearly dont know what they're talking about, or the value of your product, they're trying to get something for next to nothing.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2015, 05:01:23 pm »
I sell mine 75 for half and 130 for whole, all butchered, labelled. And ready for the freezer
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

Jon Feather

• Joined Jun 2015
  • South West Cumbria
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2015, 07:29:45 pm »
Im just starting in sheep.  I have 4 shetland ewes and their offspring arriving in about 2 weeks.
What size/type animal are we talking about here for £50-£75 a half lamb?

Edit: Im sure my neighbour gets his herdwicks killed and butched for £15?????

« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 07:34:30 pm by Jon Feather »

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2015, 10:31:33 pm »
At the moment I'm charging £100 plus whatever my butcher charges me on top. I will only do 1 trip to the abbitior so if they want it they have it when it's ready (29th off August if anyone wants some) I have plenty of customers come back every year cause they know we're it comes from an they get good value for money. They all follow me on Facebook an love to see the lambs born an grow on etc I have people drive down over an hour to buy from me and I'm sure they could get it cheaper local to them but like to see it all feel like there invoked I think

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2015, 10:42:44 pm »
A typical 'butcher's lamb' is around 25-27kgs deadweight.  Most of us on here aren't sending animals that chunky, so I guess most will be less than that. 

I don't know if anyone's ever measured how much of the 'deadweight' disappears (fat, bone, gristle, etc, not to mention some weight loss by drying out during hanging) between slaughter and butchering? 

My recent Jersey heifer was 192kgs on the hook, approx. 116kgs butchered (no bones in meat.)

I sent 4 fully adult (three summer) Castlemilk Moorit wethers, weighed about 140kgs between them on the hoof, got 55kgs meat back - that's approx. 14kgs per animal.  Adult Shetlands would be similar, I would think.

I was going to say that no, I don't think you can sell that for £70 a half - but that people will pay for it and come back for more, it's tremendous meat.  However, at £7-£10/kg, that is £50-£70 a half, so maybe you can! 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2015, 11:01:22 pm »
So we know that lamb prices are down this year. Do you think that we should be reducing our 'in a box' prices too, or should they be able to stay the same year on year as our costs haven't changed?

Obviously it's supply and demand etc, but I've already had somebody allude that I should be selling at a bargain price this year, and this is the first year we'll be selling any anyway!

When the supermarkets do it then maybe we should to. Until then. . . . .

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2015, 11:33:24 pm »
Even if the supermarkets lowered their lambs prices, it ain't gonna happen, I would still keep mine the same. Why? (you may ask) because I have to cover my costs and not pander to the publics, or supermarkets, ideal of what they think it should cost. The reason being is that I cannot afford to lower my costs because I am a small producer, wheras the supermarkets shift tons of the stuff so they can afford to lower the prices. I supply quality over quantity.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 11:35:16 pm by waterbuffalofarmer »
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2015, 06:26:53 am »
As I only supply family (a large family!) I sell at cost plus a bit more for winter feed. I am always amazed by the number of people (not family) who expect eggs, meat, veg for nothing as I "get it all free"???!!!

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2015, 07:28:47 am »
As I only supply family (a large family!) I sell at cost plus a bit more for winter feed. I am always amazed by the number of people (not family) who expect eggs, meat, veg for nothing as I "get it all free"???!!!
  Sounds like you have a few 'free' workers at lambing time then!!!
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS