Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pig with Runny Nose and Sore Eyes  (Read 4824 times)

zackyb

• Joined Oct 2010
Pig with Runny Nose and Sore Eyes
« on: July 20, 2015, 01:59:09 pm »
I have two cross middle white's about four months old. One is growing well and is fine, the other has had a runny nose (gloopy stuff ) and sore looking eyes for about a week and a half or so but not every day. One day her nose is bone dry then a couple of days later it's really gloopy again and she gets a wheezy cough. She is eating well and drinking well and her temperature is normal... she is playful (likes to grab a stick I give her and run off with it) and her tail is curly... any ideas please?
Thanks

Small Plot Big Ideas

• Joined May 2012
  • North Pennines, UK
    • Small Plot Big Ideas
Re: Pig with Runny Nose and Sore Eyes
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 12:15:16 pm »
I'm no expert as we've been pretty lucky with all our pigs health but are these kept outdoors?

My first thought was whether there is something in the pen (plant, root etc) that she eats which disagrees with her but she doesn't eat it all the time perhaps?

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 08:52:55 am »
I am no expert on pigs but it sounds like an allergy, in fact it sounds like me near fields of flowering rape! Can you give pigs Piriton?

SophieLeeds

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 09:47:41 am »
I have two cross middle white's about four months old. One is growing well and is fine, the other has had a runny nose (gloopy stuff ) and sore looking eyes for about a week and a half or so but not every day. One day her nose is bone dry then a couple of days later it's really gloopy again and she gets a wheezy cough. She is eating well and drinking well and her temperature is normal... she is playful (likes to grab a stick I give her and run off with it) and her tail is curly... any ideas please?
Thanks

Runny nose and wheezy cough could well be pneumonia, fairly common in young pigs. Treat with alamycin or similar from your vet. Pneumonia will kill pigs, so don't leave untreated.

Be interested to see what your vet says, let us know the outcome  :)
"The ultimate goal of farming is not the growing of crops or livestock, but the cultivation and perfection of human beings"

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS