Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: My thoughts on buying half pigs (as a consumer).  (Read 8964 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: My thoughts on buying half pigs (as a consumer).
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2015, 11:20:00 am »
If you just want some good pork in the cuts you want, then your local farm shop or farmers' market might be best for you.

If the half-a-pig-with-minimum-weight thing works for you, you'll do it again.  You're not a bad person if it doesn't work for you, but neither is the seller a bad person for selling it this way.

You can sometimes ask for particular butchering, you may even be able to ask the butcher to make some bacon for you.  But everything that isn't just taking it how it comes is of course going to put up the price.

When it comes to doing your own scheme, you'll no doubt want to offer something that would suit you.  So you could work out some sort of Pack A, Pack B, Pack C set of options. 

I recently slaughtered a Jersey heifer, and offered packs that would weigh 10kgs and contain a roasting joint, a pot-roasting joint, some steaks, some burgers, some mince, some stewing steak.  No individual weights, I just left it to the butcher.  So far everyone has seemed to be happy with what they got.

Some people like their joints bone-in skin-on, some want them boned and rolled, some like them stuffed.  Some like the belly in a slab.  Some would like some bacon, some won't want sausages, or do want sausages but also want rolled shoulder.  Some want plenty of chops, some want more bacon less chops, or a loin joint and ribs.  So you could try talking to your butcher and coming up with three or four different packs, each of which would use up half a pig but which offer a different selection of cuts.  Prices may vary according to the amount of butchering required.

Adding bacon or ham as an option might give delivery issues, as the customer would need to take the pork as soon as butchered, then come back for the bacon a while later.  But your butcher may be prepared to oblige.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2015, 12:35:36 pm »
I sell half lambs cut up at the Abbatoir.  They charge me per kilo and I sell on the same basis. To me as the seller and as a consumer that seems to be the fairest way

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2015, 03:01:16 pm »
Out of interest, . . . . . .what were you expecting for a half pig?

Our standard half pig boxes are made up on chops of various types, joints, belly pork and sausages. It's £100 for between 22-25 kilo.
So if I bought a half pig from you for 100 quid and it weighed 25kg? And then I bought another one for the same price but it only weighed 22kg?  That's exactly why people get annoyed and start complaining on internet forums. Why don't you weigh each half and charge the correct price based on whatever it is per KG?

Because I am not making a full on business out of it.

And to be accurate, I sell it as 22kg, making it £4.50 a kilo. It's just that some people are lucky enough to get a couple of extra kilos on occasion, due to inherent slight differences in how the pigs kill out.

I've found that people would rather know a set price, and a (very close) approx weight, rather than being told a kilo price, and then not being exactly sure what their half pig would cost.

I have not had one complaint about it yet. But when I priced it per kilo, plenty of folk said "just tell me what it costs in real terms".

I wouldn't say that's 'exactly' why people complain on internet forums. Chill out! We're not all trying to take over the world of pig selling one joint at a time.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2015, 05:06:18 pm »
The pleasure of smallholding is it diverse and we don't all have to do it the same way. The economics vary from the subsistence people to the hobbyist, and the market depends on where we live.

I do my half pigs to friends who are interested in where they come from, how they are kept and are quite happy to take a half based on the price of producing it plus a Mark up.  It is not economical for them that it not the point.

Cuts depend on what the butcher is prepared to do and what we ask for. The sausages are high meat content- that is the point!

I would be very happy if my 'customers' had specific requests regarding the butchering.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2015, 07:20:01 am »
Out of interest, . . . . . .what were you expecting for a half pig?

Our standard half pig boxes are made up on chops of various types, joints, belly pork and sausages. It's £100 for between 22-25 kilo.
So if I bought a half pig from you for 100 quid and it weighed 25kg? And then I bought another one for the same price but it only weighed 22kg?  That's exactly why people get annoyed and start complaining on internet forums. Why don't you weigh each half and charge the correct price based on whatever it is per KG?

Because I am not making a full on business out of it.

It doesn't matter if you only do one pig a year or if you do a hundred. You're selling a product to a customer so it's a business transaction. I get visited by the trading standards every now and then and have to demonstrate to them that my weighing/pricing/labelling is how it should be. If it wasn't correct they'd make me put it right so I prefer to get it right in the first place.

nicandem

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Berkeley, Glos
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2015, 10:08:30 am »
I think it is a saving, providing you compare it to the equivalent .....
i.e. outdoor reared, named breed, probably rare breed, known provenance, local produce etc etc not to the so called pork sold at tesco value or asda tap your arse commercial breed grown in a blink of an eye. tasteless crap.

also the buyer has the option.... buy elsewhere... i only grow on 3-4 a year and have a waiting list for the 1/2 pigs!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS