Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Great swaps!  (Read 2606 times)

juliag

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Wanstrow somerset
Great swaps!
« on: March 07, 2010, 02:31:15 pm »
3 days ago I swopped a dozen of my eggs for a big leg of venison, O/H covered the venison in caramalised onion the topped that off with bacon, covered in tin foil and roasted. Served with mashed potatos and seasonal veg. Loads left so the following day I diced up Swede, Parsnips, carrot, leeks, potatos , took all the venison, bacon and caramalised onions off the bone and popped it all into a large casserold dish with 1/2 jar of redcurrant jelly. Just an hour later we had the most amazing venison casserole served with fresh crusty bread. Now what would you have paid for all of that in a restaurant!!  :D
Not bad for the price of a dozen eggs! And there is the promise of masses of venison to come  :D :D
juliag

Farmer

• Joined May 2009
  • Sidway, Staffordshire
    • Farmeats.com
Re: Great swaps!
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 03:01:37 pm »
 :yum:...I'll swap 2dozen eggs for an invitation to dinner!

Farmer,  :farmer:  ;D

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 03:30:41 pm »
Juliag I don't know if I've toldyou this.The white van man was going past New Close Wood you know the one He was only doin just over 30 ain't they all?And this deer jumps over the hedge and lands right in front of the  Tranny which caught it a more than glancing blow as it tried to get out the way and spun it into the hedge bottom The following car saw where the stag went in the hedge bottom stopped and pulled it out after realising the beast was dead.Bundled it into the boot of the Skoda and drove home and reversed into the garage.Going indoors he told the Mrs What are you going to do with it?Well skin it and make usefull parcels of venison put them in the freezer The kids won't eat a Bambi.Well we will have a guessing game they have got to guess what it is.So a couple of days later she made a venison casserole just like juliag's OH When it was supper time the venison was served and the expected what is it Mum?Dad said guess they couldn't so asked for a clue to which Dad replied Er um er its something Mummy ofttimes calls me.The Little girl pushes her plate away and screams Don't eat it Andrew its a arsehole ??? :farmer: ;D
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

juliag

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Wanstrow somerset
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 04:08:15 pm »
that is so funny! my daughter knocked over a deer just up the road, she had only just passed her test and as this was in a very dark country lane and it was very dark
 she basically just sat there screaming, she didnt want to leave it in case she had hurt it but wouldnt get out of the car to have a look, so she rang home. I sent her dad up who heard her screaming  over the phone and thought she was being attacked , he waited just long enough  to hear me say she is at the top of the lane, jumped into his car and took off at top speed round the corner............ straight over the top of the dazed deer who was staggering to his feet. Well that one made a great casserole too......
juliag

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 04:18:25 pm »

I swapped some pork for venison, your recipe sounds great must try it.
Anne

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 04:52:55 pm »
Julia, that story just took me back a few years.  A month or so after I passed my test I hit a deer and after doing the screaming bit I flagged down a car.  They went and got the local game keeper who then wanted to shoot the deer.  I went ballistic, so he compromised and lifted the deer over a fence and said he would shoot it the next morning if it was still there.  Thankfully it had gone.

We have a neighbour who keeps paying us in Whiskey for eggs.  He went through a phase of collecting Whiskey and got innundated every Birthday and Christmas.  I now have one happy husband!

juliag

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Wanstrow somerset
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 05:16:27 pm »
umm whiskey sounds good, I feel I must point out that the deer we ran over twice, which was subsequently dead we are not country folk enough to put it in our cars, take it home and skill and butcher it, but thankfully we knew a man who was!!!!!!!  :D :D
juliag

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS