Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Welsh mountain sheep of the mountain  (Read 6787 times)

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
Welsh mountain sheep of the mountain
« on: July 12, 2015, 10:29:22 pm »
Any body had any experience with this ive always bought private but what's on offer at the moment doesn't really show value for money the markets by me is full off full mouth Welsh ewes off the mountain at the moment an the price is good. My worry is there off the mountains gonna be hard work. People I've asked said once they get used to being fed there fine. But I don't really feed hard feed so just looking for some views on the matter

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
Re: Welsh mountain sheep of the mountain
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 10:47:04 pm »
Scab ridden fence climbers

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 10:25:17 am »
We had a few hill ewes get in with ours , they come down from the preselis for a little holiday, but don't like staying put.    Taming them.......mmmm good luck with that. 

moony

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Dent
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 11:00:04 am »
If you have great fencing and lots of lush grass plus a large area for them to go in, or feed them daily you can keep them at home and keep them content. If you don't they will go off into the sunset and upset all your neighbours. If you do get some, dip them first job.   

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 11:11:28 am »
Our home bred Badger Face get very restless if they've been on the same field for more than a couple of weeks, no matter how good the grazing.  They will come to call or follow the bucket but they've been raised with our docile Southdowns.

Cosmore

• Joined Jun 2015
  • Dorset
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 11:17:52 am »
For my sins I had a flock of them once..... ::) . All I can say is good luck with taming them, mine jumped the gate and I spent an 'entertaining' few hours collecting them from all over the place! Iwouldn't have minded but they had a lovely field with good grazing and my suffolk ram for company - poor chap looked very miffed when they left him, you could almost see it on his face - 'was it something I said?' :roflanim: .
After they departed to the slaughter house I went in for suffolks, different ball game entirely all was peace and tranqility, the ram would walk alonside you on a lead like a dog! :)

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 11:51:04 am »
Are we in danger of having a thread where everyone agrees? Surely not

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2015, 12:02:12 pm »
Yeah, I agree, full mouthed - wouldn't touch 'em.  If they were shearlings or ewe lambs then maybe, but not old girls who are stuck in their ways.
My neighbour has welsh and keeps the ewe lambs on lowland for their first winter and he deliberately doesn't feed them or interact with them so that they learn to fend for themselves.  And they won't touch a bale of hay!

moony

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Dent
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2015, 01:27:52 pm »
The one plus is you will get to meet people in your area that you never knew existed when they come knocking.

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2015, 04:15:35 pm »
Can be a good earner. Mate of mine buys 1000 each year, tups then, lambs them, weans the lambs, culls the ewes and fattens and sells the lambs. Repeats each year and does well out of it.

Edited to add - it might be worth noting though, that I've just been asked to go out with the dog and catch some escaped welsh ewes and lambs lol.

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2015, 11:55:16 pm »
Decision made for me thanks guys no Welsh ewes haha

Coximus

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2015, 12:19:39 am »
Keeps you fit at least - they will bugger off to the horizon, find the nearest arable field and nibble it abit, go for a walk in the woods, and then rest on the verge of a main road.... And run when they see YOU, no one else, just YOU.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2015, 09:36:55 am »
I thought of this thread and laughed on my way home from work last night ... driving along the A48 (a 60mph main road), I saw a welsh ewe and her twins scoffing their faces at the road side, clearly escapees from the roadside field.  haha.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2015, 11:03:50 am »
A44 last night, two ewes and two lambs on either side of the road....

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2015, 01:18:32 pm »
. . . . . the ultimate economical sheep. What's not to like?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS