Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: dealing with granuloma  (Read 6627 times)

ewesaidit

• Joined Aug 2011
dealing with granuloma
« on: June 28, 2015, 08:46:39 pm »
 :( Have a one crop ewe with a granuloma embedded in the middle of the sole of one front foot which is proving problematic.  On vet's advice initially tried Cheviot Hoof Paste (which I understand contains copper sulphate)  and bandaging but made little difference then a different vet from the practice came out and applied copper sulphate crystals and bandaged and this was done twice. Unfortunately the granuloma is still there, although the lameness is now a 2 out of 10 compared to maybe 5/6.  The vet feels it's best not to go for a third application of copper sulphate and we are now looking at excision/cauterisation.

Does anyone have experience of successfully dealing with this problem in a similar part of the foot?     

Obviously welfare is an issue and want to try everything to avoid having to cull her.    Will be getting vet out again this week.

Did read in one of my vet books that it's possible to have a digit removed - yeech - sounds gruesome - anyone have experience of this?

So .... vet involved but would be interested to hear of other experiences with this problem, thanks

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
Re: dealing with granuloma
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 10:43:26 pm »
IME the best is to cut it off, cut back the horn so it is no longer pinching, cut the stalk of the granuloma out and apply pressure to the stump with a ball of cotton wool held in place by a pressure bandage and covered in ducktape ductape for a week and repeat at that point if required. But what do I know.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 07:30:40 am »
Yup, they need cut out.  Cauterise the wound.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 07:44:39 am »
Don't cauterise the wound!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 08:29:06 am »
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 08:35:31 am »
BH says they used to tie a thread around them, they eventually drop off

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 09:11:00 am »
Don't cauterise the wound!

Oh?

Its something my guru had a bee in his bonnet about and therefore something I have yet to do and it certainly works without it.

The granuloma initially forms due to trauma/penetrating injury (usually someone with foot trimmers but possibly a thorn etc) any other insult eg. formalin, pressure from the surrounding horn, copper sulphate (!) cautery etc can all encourage more granulation tissue to form and therefore these methods are not recommended. Also ultimately you need the normal healthy tissue to cover the defect left and to destroy all the granuloma you do untold damage around the granuloma in an instant of cautery retarding the healing process for weeks.

Sharp dissection and pressure is a lot more predictable/revisable if you get it a bit wrong. 

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2015, 04:24:29 pm »
Makes sense  :thumbsup:

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2015, 05:00:19 pm »
Makes sense  :thumbsup:
In other words get the vet to do it? :)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

ewesaidit

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2015, 07:46:10 pm »
Thanks for the replies folks. Very interesting.   In an earlier discussion the vet did talk about excision and pressure bandaging but latterly mentioned cauterisation. 

Will have a proper look at the ewe's foot tomorrow when I can bring her in.  Last night she trotted across the field sound, but tonight slightly lame again (only one out of 10 ish).  Had a quick look tonight (she let me pick her foot up in the field!) and there looks like an indentation where the granuloma was but would need to clean it out for a proper look. 

keep you posted, thanks

ewesaidit

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2015, 08:36:29 pm »
Hi - forgot to update - granuloma gone - ewe absolutely sound - result   :thumbsup:

Vet said she's never had it fail - so for future reference - apply copper sulphate crystals directly on to granuloma, cotton wool padding and bandage with vetwrap - keep sheep in to keep everything dry or cover with duct tape if turning out - remove in 3 days and reapply - remove and check in a couple of days

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2015, 09:40:35 pm »
Duct/Duck tape.......wonderful stuff
Is it time to retire yet?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2015, 10:38:14 pm »
Hi - forgot to update - granuloma gone - ewe absolutely sound - result   :thumbsup:

Vet said she's never had it fail - so for future reference - apply copper sulphate crystals directly on to granuloma, cotton wool padding and bandage with vetwrap - keep sheep in to keep everything dry or cover with duct tape if turning out - remove in 3 days and reapply - remove and check in a couple of days

bookmarking that - thanks!

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2015, 11:21:59 pm »

Vet said she's never had it fail

Good for you, the vet and the sheep! Beware using the word "never" in connection with Veterinary Medicine - there is always the first time!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS