Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hens stopped laying!  (Read 7727 times)

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
  • Bramham flock Wiltshire Horns
Hens stopped laying!
« on: July 08, 2015, 08:53:37 pm »
I was wondering if anyone's hens have stopped laying over last few days they have been dwindling from 5 down to 1,
I have 10 laying hens!
I know they can come to the end of a string, and I don't see any mites in best box and I use DE there doesn't seem to be signs of moult and look like they are in good condition and free ranging all day!
I can understand 1 or 2 not laying but not all!
I'm thinking I'm either not feeding enough but I haven't changed there feed ration
I'm wondering if the thunder has scared them!
follow on FB@BramhamWiltshireHorns

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
Re: Hens stopped laying!
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 09:59:13 pm »
Have you checked a) they aren't laying outside somewhere and b) there isn't something stealing eggs? I have had crows take eggs from a bowl when I have been collecting them, and there is a squirrel going into my hen house but I haven't caught it stealing eggs. It might be worth watching the house if you have time to see if something is taking the eggs.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 05:02:40 am »
My first thought was something taking the eggs. Rats can remove them (squirrels included) and so can Magpies.

Thunder will scare them and they may stop laying as a result, as they would do with anything prowling around the enclosure.

Another alternative is egg eating, but you usually find the shells lying around.

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 07:47:50 am »
Not noticed a drop in egg laying here. What about the recent mini heat wave.  That may have a short term affect on laying.
If you cant beat 'em then at least bugger 'em about a bit.

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 08:36:27 am »
we haven't noticed that. In fact, if anything ours are laying more, and weve had a fair few thunder storms.
Might they be about to start a moult?
Is it time to retire yet?

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
  • Bramham flock Wiltshire Horns
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 09:10:00 am »
Yes that's the only thing I can think of!
But they are still looking in good condition!
follow on FB@BramhamWiltshireHorns

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2015, 09:42:33 am »
I was wondering if anyone's hens have stopped laying over last few days they have been dwindling from 5 down to 1,
I have 10 laying hens!
I know they can come to the end of a string, and I don't see any mites in best box and I use DE there doesn't seem to be signs of moult and look like they are in good condition and free ranging all day!
I can understand 1 or 2 not laying but not all!
I'm thinking I'm either not feeding enough but I haven't changed there feed ration
I'm wondering if the thunder has scared them!
Exactly my predicament, I only got 3 eggs today, the first in a few days.  :)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 11:33:10 am »
Mine are starting to dwindle now. I've got 13 brown ex commercials and 3 first year laying hens, getting 6-8 a day now. Although out of the 13 brown hens only 5 are in their 2nd year laying, the others are pretty old now.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2015, 12:05:18 pm »
July is generally moult month for us.  Egg eaters don't always leave the shells - look for the sticky mess from yolks in the nestbox.

LouiseG

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Appleby-in-Westmorland
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2015, 12:07:18 pm »
Ours have dropped in number over the last week or so, we put it down to the hot weather? we have 7 hens and were averaging 5 or 6 but now down to 2 or 3
So many ideas, not enough hours

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2015, 02:36:45 pm »
Remember we are into the shortening days now too.

Longest day was June 22nd and we've lost around 16 minutes daylight since then.

they will notice the shortening days and depending on the individual bird may respond to it by stopping or reducing the amount they lay.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 03:12:34 pm by Clansman »

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2015, 08:05:16 pm »
I expect it this time of year with my pure breeds tbh, half of mine are broody and the other half slowly coming into moult-would rather they moult now than in september up here.

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2015, 08:10:50 pm »
Keep an eye out for crows. I'm plagued at the moment but too snowed under to solve them. They will be getting ended soon though. I went up the other morning and counted 11 leghorn eggs but didn't have a box. 2 hours later the lot were gone. I find them all over the fields and see the crows fighting over them.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2015, 08:40:34 am »
Keep an eye out for crows. I'm plagued at the moment but too snowed under to solve them. They will be getting ended soon though. I went up the other morning and counted 11 leghorn eggs but didn't have a box. 2 hours later the lot were gone. I find them all over the fields and see the crows fighting over them.
Whereabouts are you for it to be wintery?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2015, 08:46:09 am »
 I think Stereo's just busy, don't think its actually snowing ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS