Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hens stopped laying!  (Read 7726 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: Hens stopped laying!
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2015, 08:48:42 am »
I think Stereo's just busy, don't think its actually snowing ;D
Yea probably. I wondered that after posting the comment, but couldn't be bothered to change the comment. :innocent:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2015, 09:09:29 am »
There was a wee frost warning yesterday although I never saw it here

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
  • Bramham flock Wiltshire Horns
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2015, 10:07:58 am »
got 4 yesterday so an improvement,
no crow but there is magpies, but because chickens are in my garden i always pick any up, but that rare they usually use the nest box
follow on FB@BramhamWiltshireHorns

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2015, 01:30:47 pm »
I had a couple of days at the beginning of the week when we dropped from 8/9 to 4 eggs a day, after confirming no nests being laid elsewhere and couple of hens looking a bit ratty, think it is moulting time for some of them (we have 14 hens of various ages). Also wondered if the sudden drop in temperature might have been a factor.

________
Caroline

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2015, 02:43:09 pm »
Might as well be! Finally got accounts and VAT return off this morning, despite having a child off school. Next week is going to be a bad one for the crows. Will be building some simple net hides for them to get used to tomorrow and then........

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2015, 10:43:36 am »
I cleaned all the best boxes out again and put in some DE had 6 eggs yesterday fingers crossed!

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2015, 12:36:37 pm »
I cleaned all the best boxes out again and put in some DE had 6 eggs yesterday fingers crossed!
Better than me my hens have completely stopped :rant:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2015, 04:27:48 pm »
It's the light, the hormone which stimulates laying is activated by daylength, when the day length starts to shorten the natural reaction to it is that birds will begin to slow down or stop.

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2015, 09:58:40 pm »
8 today from 11 so back to normal think I I've only ever had a full house twice!

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2015, 10:35:55 pm »
I'm having same problem. Bought 6 ex free range and all laid for a couple of weeks but now down to 1 or 2 out of 9 hens. Plastic houses so shouldn't be a mite problem and they are penned due to fox so can't lay anywhere but houses. Keeper is adamant that crows etc will not go into the house.

I'm getting hungry!

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2015, 10:41:20 pm »
Ah well 2 eggs yesterday and none today, the hens keep to their house cause of the rain. Its raining cats and dogs here.  :gloomy:

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2015, 10:03:47 am »
I'm having same problem. Bought 6 ex free range and all laid for a couple of weeks but now down to 1 or 2 out of 9 hens. Plastic houses so shouldn't be a mite problem and they are penned due to fox so can't lay anywhere but houses. Keeper is adamant that crows etc will not go into the house.

I'm getting hungry!

Do you lock them in at nights and do they have a window in their house?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS