Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Quessant Miniature Lambs  (Read 46485 times)

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
Re: Quessant Miniature Lambs
« Reply #60 on: June 20, 2008, 11:36:42 am »
At last able to report that my Ouessant cross - Chocolate - has had a lamb - a little black male with a white tuft on his head.  Carole also has a lamb sired by Norman and hers also has a white tufty on his head.  Norman is black and has white shoulders so I guess that it where it comes from on his boys.

The lamb - Little Norm - looks exactly like a Ouessant, so it will be interesting to see just how big he actually grows in comparison to the others.

I am so pleased Chocolate has lambed. Her history tells that she had a still born and was very ill, so I have been worried, but she is fine and is a superb mother. 

I have had conversations with Carole about Chocolate's behaviour because she has kept herself and her lamb away from the rest of the flock.  The lamb is just two weeks old now (have I really been offline that long!), and she has only just rejoined her friends.  Carole suggested that this was her way of protecting him from the other larger lambs who could possibly hurt him playing.  She continually bleated and again Caroles advice that she is keeping in contact with the flock to remind them that she was still around made sense again.

What a clever Carole!! Thank you, you gave me peace of mind at a worrying time, this being my first time.

Anyway, all is well, the lambs are all growing well and thriving and the mums are doing a wonderful job with their families.

Interestingly, reading about colours etc,  one of my boys has developed a large brown tuft on his head, the others have retained their black colour. I must have a right mix and match in my flock!! Never mind, I am happy with them.

So, is everyone now done and dusted for this season?

Kate  ;D :sheep:
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #61 on: June 20, 2008, 02:51:44 pm »
all done and dusted phew got to start thinking about matings for this year now. the white tuft on top of the head is quite normal for ouessants and is part of the recessive spotting gene I quite like them they should fade to a barely perceptible few white hairs as  they grow I'm interested in Norms whte shoulders do you have a pic?

re mums keeping their distance there  are good mums and anxious mums and everything in between. most of mine keep their little one apart from the flock for a while how protecive they are depends on their style of mothering all are different. 

any pic of the brown tuft? sounds intriging

if you think colour is ouessants is dull try this fella genuine ouessant ( long bloodline) genuine colour no photo shop honest! http://ouessants.blogspot.com/2008/06/hot-ouessant.html and hes not a one off!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 02:53:42 pm by kanisha »
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #62 on: June 20, 2008, 10:19:56 pm »
He is fab - what a lovely lad!

Will get some pics of Norman - still trying to get the shearer in - so difficult to pin him down.  Will post as soon as he is done.

Kate  :sheep:
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

carole

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #63 on: June 21, 2008, 12:18:16 pm »
Glad all is well with Chocolate, I am so looking forward to the pictures or to coming up and seeing them all

Carole

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS