Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Quessant Miniature Lambs  (Read 46600 times)

carole

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: Quessant Miniature Lambs
« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2008, 08:55:58 am »
Kanisha

They are not all related, came together but from seperate flocks initially.
I am so pleased that Bart my favourite ram lamb from last year has been re homed with Kate. He was a sweetie, its his mum I am still waiting for- but last year she delivered 18th May, looked like she was going to explode- nothing changed this year either!!!!!

Carole

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2008, 06:26:06 pm »
sheep! they do do quite what you expect I am celebrating a little brown ewe lamb born to Ciska last night celebrating because it was totally unexpected no one thought she was in lamb! little Melita is doing well after a shakey start and I still have Olivia the other brown ewe to lamb not to mention all of Ivos lambs and my dominant black experiment ( fingers crossed for a nice surprise there) . I am on cloud nine ;D ;D ;D ;D :sheep: :sheep:
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2008, 08:34:30 pm »
Congratulations - it's always nice to get a nice surprise!

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2008, 10:30:38 pm »
Hurray!!

At last Kanisha, well done!

Kate  :sheep:
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

carole

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2008, 07:56:09 am »
Kanisha, well done great news.

Yesterday afternon, Blossom finally lambed. Thats us finished here now, thank goodness, however the lamb is black. Mum and Dad both white!!!  odd as last year the ram was black and she had a white babe- all so confusing. Will re read your previous postings re colours and genetics.

Carole

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Facebook
« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2008, 09:08:23 am »
Hi Carole this kind of recording of births and colours will tell you alot about the genotype of your adults. this way you are able to plan colour breeding a lot better.  It is possible to carry a number of colours not just one with one hidden but in this case.

Blossom is Awt/Aa BB/B? E+E+
Dad is Awt/Aa BB/B? E+E+
 and the black lamb born to two white parents must be Aa/Aa BB/B? E+/E+

By noting the full colour genotype where possible from each breeding you can hopefully eventually get a much better idea of prediciting matings and colour outcomes it can be very useful.

I have used Ivo who is the same genotype as your black lamb born to blossom as he is a  known non dominant black ( true recessive black ) ram I have put him to all black ewes who are all from only black flocks if there are any white  sheep who are dominant black I may if I get lucky produce a white lamb from a black to black mating that would be very interesting! we will see.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 09:15:41 am by kanisha »

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Facebook
« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2008, 02:30:40 pm »
Ive finished lambing!! ..................almost probably!!!
http://ouessants.blogspot.com/2008/05/end-is-in-sight.html

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2008, 02:49:02 pm »
Worries over with for this year then Kanisha!

I still have one that I am not sure about.  She is a Ouessant cross and has been living with Norman since January. She looks a big girl, but since she hasn't been sheared yet because it was cancelled last week due to the weather, I cannot be sure.  Stressing about it really, because I don't want here interferred with if she is due, but she does need shearing because her wool is really thick.  If she is with lamb then I hope she hurries up!

Kate  :sheep:
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Facebook
« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2008, 03:33:19 pm »
Hi Kate yes I know what you mean i still don't know about squeak and like yours she hasn't been shorn I am going to shear her tomorrow fingers crossed all goes well. A couple of years ago my ram didn't arrive until 7th of Jan all the girls were pregnant ;D so I'm sure your girl probably is too.

melleyb

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #54 on: June 10, 2008, 05:42:01 pm »
Hi im a newbie on here and im doing some research into owning a quessant/breton sheep/lamb as a pet/s.  I dont know much about livestock only the basics.  Thats why im doing my research, if any one could be so kind as to help? 

Well i fell in love instantly with this mini sheep at plymouth zoo, im not actually sure if the sheep i saw were lambs or adults - they were very small and cute.  I was thinking about having chickens and it just crossed my mind (what with all the grass mowing), would it be possible to keep a sheep or two in my back garden as pets?  I have never owned livestock before, only my dog, i am a very responsible pet owner and do not go into situations lightly.  I have lived next door to livestock; mini horses, goats, hens, horses, pigs so i know it is possible, what i dont know is how much grazing would a sheep or two need to sustain there diet?  What supplements (hay/straw/oats?) would be needed ect..?
I was thinking if i could i would like to keep one or two in my back garden in a shed- especuially kitted out for them, also what do you have to do to there feet, how often and where do you get this done, would i t be a local vet or farier?

Well any help and guidence to a wanna be newbie would be greatly appriciated - we all have to start somewhere, i might go and look on ebay now for books lol
bye for now newbie :) melleyb

carole

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2008, 11:27:34 am »
Mellybe, think your best bet is to log onto Kanishas web site, its full of knowledgeable people who breed ouessants and I think other breeds too.
Keep us posted as to what you decide, good luck, ouessants are fantastic sheep, full of energy and do sometimes the funniest things.They can too get you into trouble, the times when they think the grass is greener on the other side- only its not grass but a field of newly planted maize!!!!!!!! yes happened yesterday, farmer not amused ,but  after he had drunk all my beer he seemed happy enough.

Carole

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #56 on: June 11, 2008, 05:21:42 pm »
Hi MellyB

I am on the Somerset/Devon Border and have, among other sheep, a flock of 13 Ouessants with 2 more arriving soon! If you want to come down for the day please feel free to get in touch! We also have a course here on the 28th June called 'Starting with sheep' a day for those thinking about keeping sheep that will cover everything you ever wanted or needed to know!
My contact phone number is 07857 670092
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

melleyb

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2008, 02:33:40 pm »
Hi thanks for the replies, im now thinking - due to knew job - that i may have to leave much wanted sheep until i have retired, now thinking about getting chickens - in fact definatly going to get chickend for now - will just have to dress the dog as a sheep lol

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2008, 07:25:50 pm »
Chickens are certainly a lot less hassle than sheep.

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Facebook
« Reply #59 on: June 17, 2008, 08:10:27 pm »
sheep hassle??? I can spend hours just watching them, no hassle  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS