Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hebridean Sheep Society Sale 29th August at Lanark along with Shetland UK sale  (Read 12155 times)

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
Just to allow folks  to get this one in their diary
The Lanark Sale is to be held on Saturday 29th August. Lawrie & Symington are promoting it as The Scottish National Show & Sale of Pedigree Hebridean Sheep. The Show will commence @ 9 am to be followed by the Sale @ 11 am. We will have access to the mart on the Friday pm.
 Vicky is to liaise with the mart over the of the catalogue. Our contact & the young man with responsibility for promoting the sale is Andrew Goldie.

This year, the Shetlands are holding their UK National Sale at Lanark and are holding their show on Friday evening. There will be 2 rings on the go on Saturday which will speed up the proceedings.

There is to be no sale at Stirling anymore so this is where to get your registered Hebrideans at a scottish venue - Its obviously not that far over the border and doesn't clash with carlisle either as per previous years. There should be a lot of good Stock available for those wishing to buy and a large audience for those wishing to sell - If your new / inexperienced there should be members about who can give you advice regarding what sheep you may wish to buy - hope to see you all there

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Thank you Big Light - I meant to post the info a couple of days back, sorry.

I think there are plus and minus points about the move.  A big plus is that we will be using a large, modern facility, with plenty of room (and a good canteen, and excellent bacon butties  :hungry:
Joining up with the Shetland National sale, as well as rare breeds, makes sense.  The Shetland Sheep Soc always has a big craft section, which might stir the interest of Heb and other rare breeds breeders too  :spin: :knit:   Another plus point is that Lanark mart is delighted to have us there, and keen for the sale to be a success, whereas Cally Marts were very poorly organised and totally uninterested in our presence.

A minus point is that we are moving ever further from the Islands, so it is unlikely that islanders will get to the sales, either to purchase or sell their stock. The same applies to those who live in the Far North.
Another minus point is that Scottish and N English lambs will be only 4 months old at the time of sale (the previous Stirling Cally marts and Oban sales were in September, a month later.

Overall though I think the move is positive - it's also just up the road for me, so I can't complain  ;D
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 12:01:49 am by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
I know what you mean FW with the positives and negatives however this year it really is either have it at Lanark or not at all.
The folk coming down from the north having to go further isn't great and the other locations in stirling were also  looked at for that reason but no availability. I guess it will be a suck it and see but overall i think the positives will out weigh the negatives(even if more travelling personally) and that Lanark will prove to be the best choice - as for lambs i guess they will still be the same age as each other, be interesting to see if theres any alteration with averages but i hope the Heb sale might boost the shetland sale with different folk and vice versa

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
 >:( that's me missing this year's shetland sale

Just been confirmed for a contract on the south coast of englandshire that weekend that I can't afford to turn down...

Probably a good thing, stops me buying more sheep...

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
Send the children and tell them to wave at the man in the box ; 0)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
>:( that's me missing this year's shetland sale

Just been confirmed for a contract on the south coast of englandshire that weekend that I can't afford to turn down...

Probably a good thing, stops me buying more sheep...

You can always pop in for a look-see at Carlisle the following month... ;)  :innocent:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
Looking forward to this sale and inclusion of the hebs will make this a better sale in my humble opinion. Should be a great atmosphere with the two society's friendly folk. At least there stock for sale will mostly be of a good standard and regestered.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
I'm so hacked of we didn't get the starter farm because we are now trying to sell rather than going to this sale and carrying out some sheep retail therapy !

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
Shame Verdi - i take it there's no way you can get a few extra acres near to you for rent / barter. Both Your skill set for some grazing amongst horses / spare land and build up your stock / area so that if you go for it again then they can't put the increase in size or numbers as a negative against you?. We have managed to get a few bit of grazing in exchange for a lamb for instance.

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
I'll be honest we are looking at other options at the mo so hopefully next year at the latest ! ????

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
Aye theres always that balance with overwintering and too much summrr grass - nice to see your back on the   :horse:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Bump  :sheep:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Bump

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
Well worth a visit especially if your new to sheep and looking for a breed - even if you are not ready to buy you can see what you like and speak to breeders and make contact / get ideas for the future

Here's the link for the hebridean catalogue - theres some fantastic sheep, including some of this years show champions the |Hebrideans are scheduled for about 12 noon ish in ring 2
http://c1940652.r52.cf0.rackcdn.com/55db0b84ff2a7c077700025b/Hebridean-Sheep-Society-Catalogue-29th-Aug-2015.pdf

general rare breed catalogue

http://c1940652.r52.cf0.rackcdn.com/55db0f3bff2a7c077700026b/Rare-Breed-catalogue-29th-Aug.pdf

and Shetland catalogue
http://c1940652.r52.cf0.rackcdn.com/55dac9efff2a7c07770001fd/Shetland-Sheep-catalogue-29th-august-2015-%282%29.pdf

and heres a summary of what's there:

SALE OF RARE AND MINORITY BREEDS OF CATTLE, SHEEP, GOATS, PIGS, POULTRY incorporating National Show and Sale of Shetland Sheep  (Show Friday 28th at 10am) also Scottish National Show and Sale of Hebridean Sheep ( Show commences Saturday  9am)
In Ring 1 at 9.30am- 314 Shetland Sheep, 43 Zwartble Sheep,
In Ring 2 at 10am -40 Jacob,37 Ryeland,22 Boreray,10 Icelandic,24 North Ronaldsay,121 Hebridean,35 Various Other Breeds, 51 Cross Bred Sheep
In General Hall at 10am- 196 Cages Poultry followed by 2 Pigs,2 Highland Cows,2 Llamas,8 Horses followed by in Ring 3 75 Goats

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Intrigued by 'Bluefaced Welsh Mountain Tup lambs'  ???
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS