Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: bloat in lamb  (Read 11373 times)

bugsym00

• Joined Apr 2015
bloat in lamb
« on: June 17, 2015, 12:32:34 pm »
I have a 10 week old lamb whos mother died at 6 weeks she was left with flock as was eating creep grass and drinking water. All was well until yesterday when she seemed to have developed bloat.
Not sure what to do any help welcome ???

Yeoman

• Joined Oct 2010
  • South Northamptonshire
Re: bloat in lamb
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 12:54:05 pm »
Act now.  I lost one very quickly early this year.  All over in a few hours.

I tried massaging then tubing with olive oil etc but couldn't get it under control.  I think the only thing that would have saved it would have been the big needle into the stomach trick but obviously that's not for the faint hearted - and not something to consider until a last resort.

Bloat is obviously a very serious condition but I'm not sure what the vet can do that you can't so it might be a case of just restricting food, massaging then possibly oil by tube...and then read up on where the big needle goes!

Sorry to be a bit gloomy but...

Maybe others have a different approach...

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 01:00:31 pm »
What's her bum like is it clean

bugsym00

• Joined Apr 2015
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 02:41:24 pm »
Her bottom is clean she is fine in herself I am just wondering if she has gorged herself on creep

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 03:35:24 pm »
Dose with veg oil/water mix, massage belly in circular motion, keep her moving (run her around if you need to).  All those things should her her burp/fart it all out :).  Don't wait, get on it right away and keep going until the bloat has been released.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2015, 05:54:13 pm »
Put a tube down into her stomach and massage hard her left hand side. You should hear the gas come up the tube (and smell it too). A bicarb/oil solution should help or the vet can give you a solution called 'Birp' which is used for bloat in cows but also very good for lambs and sheep too. Keep it off grass for 48 hours and starve for 12-24 hours then feed hay until you put it back out again.

If it is really bad (i.e. when you turn her over the stomach is as taught as an inflated balloon) then a needle stuck into the left hand side will provide immediate relief.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2015, 12:57:53 pm »
I have a 10 week old lamb whos mother died at 6 weeks she was left with flock as was eating creep grass and drinking water. All was well until yesterday when she seemed to have developed bloat.
Not sure what to do any help welcome ???
I syringe olive oil down the throat, but I heard of someone on the forum giving lambs with bloat antibiotics, I would take her to thew vet though, so he can let the gas out. Is there much red clover in the field that she is in?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

BALLOCH

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2015, 02:35:06 pm »
I had to get metacam and buxcapan ,spelt wrong I think,gave instant relief and then back on bottle.Lamb now gets probiotic and gripe water after every bottle,and been fine.Tried oil.bi carb,ginger etc,but thevets potion worked.Buxcapan is used for colic in horses and is a stomach relaxant.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2015, 04:41:26 pm »
i've used veg oil and a bicarb/water solution which worked a treat  :fc:
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2015, 10:04:17 am »
My bottle baby went off her milk after we came back from a night away. She did have a carer to feed her but she became withdrawn and changed shape soon after.

So I gave her a small drench of ginger and water.  Then vegetable oil. I gave her electrolyte gel and water, then a little later a tiny drench of acv and water and then just syringes of water.  She also had half a cc of pen and strep orally.  Massaged, had her walking about. 

By day three she was cantering over singing to me and is now very normal, I do add literally a drop or two of acv to her milk now. 

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2015, 10:53:25 am »
acv?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2015, 11:03:53 am »
Sorry apple cider vinegar (with mother ) tiny amount x

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2015, 12:47:40 pm »
Sorry apple cider vinegar (with mother ) tiny amount x
I put a spoonful of yoghurt into one of their feeds, I always thought mixing vinegar wih milk was bad as it curdles the milk?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2015, 01:07:09 pm »
A drop or two, not enough to curdle it. :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS