Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Animal dying - maggots  (Read 26060 times)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: Animal dying - maggots
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2015, 11:31:46 am »
YUK!!!  So when I became a smallholder, I unwittingly took on a new nemesis by the name of Wohlfahrtia Magnifica!?!!?  She even sounds like a comic book villain!   >:(
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2015, 11:47:55 am »
Super villain

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2015, 03:54:58 pm »
[

The difference between Clik and Clikzin is the strength of the active ingredient.  This makes for a shorter withdrawal with Clikzin.  When you look at the 'Uses' of the two products, they both protect against the green bottle, Lucilia sericata, but only Clik protects against Wohlfahrtia magnifica - which is a fly whose
larvae chiefly infest genitalia or open wounds

Thanks for this .... had assumed (as I'm sure many others have)  that they are the same....... used Clikzin on my 3 Rams rather than buy another Clik when I ran out ....... will keep closer watch on them .

Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2015, 05:44:50 pm »
I think the internal / wound-infecting fly is not so widespread as the greenbottle, so unless you know you have the former in your area, then Clikzin is all you need, and is cheaper, shorter withdrawal and presumeably significantly reduced environmental impact.  :thumbsup:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2015, 07:23:19 pm »
Thank you Sally. Im abs paranoid about this issue so this has been really helpful to me. Im getting Clik now, no ifs and buts
Is it time to retire yet?

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2015, 07:40:09 pm »
According to the  C D C   as of june 24th  2015  wohlfahrtia magnifica  is in the Mediterranean basin with central Italy   and Hungary the nearest to the uk  , it likes really hot and dry , so don't panic yet  :raining:

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2015, 08:11:39 pm »
I was told by a much wiser shepherd than me to spend at least 20-40 minutes each day just quietly watching each field or area of sheep.  He was widely regarded as one of the finest shepherds in the area, so I have.

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2015, 08:43:43 pm »
Yes marches that is a great bit of information, observation and move observation, time spent with your animals studying there behaviour will go a very long way to good animal husbandry.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2015, 08:46:11 pm »
That would work out at about 5 hours staring a day for Me!  :thinking:

Coximus

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2015, 12:50:55 am »
Interesting - an update from my end as well;
I did bring this up with the vet, who said its something they see very rarely - but if it was internal they usually die of blood poisoning full stop, and quickly to boot, especially if the anus is where they enter.

He did say their was a specific type of fly that can do this and lays live young, causing very very fast strike (was told within 3-4 hours in warm weather), and that they burrow, whereas normal blowfly strike the maggots feed on the surface making them easy to spot, but its very rare in the uk, and is usually a summer visitor coming back with pets and holiday folk - I assume this mentioned one is it.

Since then I;ve brought this up with many many people with sheep and quite a few have seen this horror story - no external strike signs, even on a dead animal, no flesh eaten, no surface skin damage, no maggots or eggs in fleece, the strike purely internal / coming from genetalia and anus areas - and all killed extremely swiftly - it seems to be something that is rare, usually 1-2 sheep at a time and the 3 neighbours who have had it, 2 were this year, within a week of mine. The other incident was about 5 years ago and took 6 sheep in one day.

This would be a terrifying problem if it became more common with warmer summers.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2015, 09:23:21 am »
Thanks for that update, Coximus.

To me, therefore, if we want to use one of these products at all, we should all use Clikzin and not Clik, as the beastie that Clik protects against is extremely rare, and the additional environmental damage that Clik causes is not therefore warranted.

What do you think, Coximus?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Keepers

• Joined Jul 2015
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2015, 09:30:52 am »
I have used clikzin this year in May and it provided coverage all the way up until shearing (which was monday)
I am sorting lambs this coming weekend and will re clikzin those which arent up to fat yet

I will leave the ewes for a few weeks and then will most likely use clik again when the wool growth comes back, I used to use crovect but never had the success that Clik gives

5 ewes got flystruck beginning of may before we applied clikzin, but it wasnt very much, just a little around the bum

The shedding ewes didnt get fly struck but they are bothered hugely by head flies and any other creepy crawly

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2015, 09:38:57 am »
the additional environmental damage that Clik causes.....

What environmental damage?  :-[
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2015, 10:00:16 am »
the additional environmental damage that Clik causes.....

What environmental damage?  :-[

It's highly toxic to aquatic life.  You have to keep the sheep away from watercourses for at least an hour after administration, but reading all the bumph the producer has to supply to the government to get licensing, they actually excrete significant quantities for the first 24-48 hours, so if you can keep them away from watercourses for a day or two, that's better.

It also kills dung flies and dung beetles.  (Ever wondered why the dung seems to sit on the surface for so long on non-organic farms?  ;))

Coximus

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2015, 10:04:43 am »
In many ways I agree Sally - that said I currently use Citriodol - provides protection for upto 4 weeks, kills magots in seconds and is organic certified and is derrived from a type of eucalyptus.
It is not harmful to in the same residual way Clik and Clikzin are - that said I have both. In the case of a sevear outbreak, case or it becoming persistantly problematic (IE flys are breeding on carrion somewhere nearby etc.... (road kill etc) I may use clikzin.

That said I have only ever done so once, Citriodol has done me fine, and is kinder on the sheeps skin to boot.

Personally I think a graded up system, where you hold all the availible chems, but use them appropriatley is the best way foreward. Having had an internal strike now.... Im of the opinion if it happens again the Whole flock gets Clik'd. Sadly it is not something you get many warning signs of so cant easily prevent it, and I am not sure if the Citriodol has a preventative effect on this particular fly

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS