Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hatching eggs  (Read 3694 times)

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
Hatching eggs
« on: February 24, 2010, 02:07:09 pm »
Hi can anyone recommend a good supplier of fertile eggs by post. Looking for light Sussex, silver Wyandotte and at some point soon Aylesbury duck eggs.

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
Re: Hatching eggs
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 02:22:41 pm »
Helencus for fun google The Chick Empire and look at Hebden Bridge Then look up F&H Panton or Panton Bros as  well as the Lincolnshire Aviation Museum They do Chickens about a million at a time Their Dad started with 12 chickens he kept them in empty orange box's.Another thing long gone usefull for all sorts of storage :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 02:25:58 pm »
Thanks George will do. feel free to call me Helen by the way.  :)

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 05:49:19 pm »
Thank you Helen A bit of fun I am or I think I am fairly carefull with names with out its obvious. Show you what I mean. Aye George I was pulling stuff from under the electric fence slipped some how and touched my forehead on the wire ouch did it hurt Hermit.My reply was I can imagine when I was a boy we were down the water meadows and I wanted a tinkle so I stood behind a post and peed on a strand of barbed wire it concentrates the mind I assure you .The reply was I wouldn't know my name is Karen ;D ;D :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 07:30:15 pm »
Lol! Well you wouldn't expect a hermit to be female  mind i expect you were careful about where you peed in future 

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 09:52:44 am »
ive just had a hatch. 18 highline cross and 6 hubbards. all 18 hylines hatched thou one looks iffy. 2 hubbards pipped not hatched yet 1 clear still waiting on the other 3. i thought it was my incubator skills that were causing poor hatch rates. the two home hatches have been 90-100% the ebay eggs the best i have had is 50-60% you are always told its the posts fault but i wonder if some of the eggs we get are old or poorly kept.
i have noticed that the sellers don't want feed back on hatch rates. but to be honest thats the only way you can judge if they are worth getting.

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 11:05:56 am »
The breeds you are looking for are quite common I would get in touch with your local poultry society to see who breeds and sells eggs in your area. I have had eggs through the post and not found any reason to complain,the only thing is you have to take chances that the parcel is not chosen to be x-rayed, which kills the embryos. Eggs by post.....you pay your money and take your chances, simple. Hermit

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 10:36:03 pm »

All my Light Sussex and Aylesburys came from eggs bought off Ebay, I have had a few duds though but I suppose it's a chance you take anyway.
Anne

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2010, 10:15:08 am »
Thanks so I'm finding. Well I'll give it a go and we will see. Cheers all

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS