Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Our first eggs  (Read 3169 times)

r+lchick

• Joined Sep 2009
Our first eggs
« on: February 08, 2010, 09:06:22 am »
First time keeping chickens and we have had them since last June.  We have finally been rewarded with our first eggs.  Three in total.  There was a lot of clucking before I left for work so I hope for another surprise when I get back tonight. 

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
Re: Our first eggs
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 09:33:57 am »
i will never forget our first eggs, that warm feeling after the egg has just
been laid.
hope you enjoy them for breakfast as much as i do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
what breed have you?
we are going to start hatching ours soon :chook:
Langdon ;)

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 09:37:34 am »
Congratulations!  You will always remember those first eggs  :)
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

whitby_sam

• Joined Feb 2008
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 09:50:48 am »
Its a lovely feeling isn't it! Reassures you that they're happy and you're doing everything right and you'll never taste better eggs than the ones your own chickens have laid!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 10:20:02 am »
It's a super feeling - I'm just about to go and check mine.  I've had a duck egg last three mornings too so hopefully the othere sister will start laying again soon. Don't think their Mum is laying now - she must be about 8 or 9.  She was retreived by Allez day before yesterday so is in hiding and won't free range with the others just now - don't blame her either!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sagehen

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Warwickshire
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 11:56:24 am »
That's lovely! Our ex batts stopped laying when the days got shorter, although the other ones continued laying, but the exbatts have started laying again now.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2010, 06:35:35 pm »
Congratulations!  We took photos of our first eggs, after a longer than expected wait for them!!
Little Blue

r+lchick

• Joined Sep 2009
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 08:44:18 am »
what breed have you?:chook:
The one that is laying is a Brahma cross.  Her and her 2 sisters are the oldest and we have 3 Marams which are 3-4 months younger.  Hevens know when they will start laying.  All very exiciting.  Another egg last night and by the way she was squarking this morning another tonight. (Cross fingers)  Ros

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2010, 08:37:02 am »
I got my first 2 duck eggs of the year this morning. Seems like ages since they stopped laying - hopefully a sign of better weather.

pottsie

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2010, 10:12:15 am »
I got my first double yoker from my own hens that i brought on from a Maran / Orpington. It's like christmas, even checking all the other eggs now and deciding which ones i'm going to use myself just in case there doubles!!!!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS