Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How disgusting eh!  (Read 11454 times)

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
How disgusting eh!
« on: February 23, 2010, 07:44:42 am »
Don't know if I have done it right Rusty but 9/10ths won't understand this one Worse than Tibetan Cow is Chitterlings? Not so bad but orribull is Tripe with or without onions ??? :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Jackie

• Joined Nov 2009
Re: How disgusting eh!
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 12:19:56 pm »
I dont like chitterlins but my mum does :( I like tripe though and I use a Spanish recipe with black olives, fresh toms and loads of garlic for it. :)

However, I know you like trotters George and I can abide them. Each to his/her own eh? lol

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 12:28:07 pm »
What are chitterlins?

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 12:35:28 pm »
you'll be glad you asked Dixie. It's disgusting scraggy bits of chicken innards I believe, deep fried... popular in the deep south of America. Never tried them so hard to judge but really don't fancy it much nor trotters and definately not tripe.. (retching action going on)

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 12:38:18 pm »
Err yuk! not for me either thanks! :P

Dangermouse

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 12:42:19 pm »
Yum Yum....... ;D ;D

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 12:55:31 pm »
you're just sick DM obviously  ;D.

I have a friend who travels a lot, firmly believes that when in Rome and all that, so in France he ate horse. bad boy.. in Vietnam he ate dog.. very bad boy .. and in Peru he ate Guinea Pig.. so disgusting.. but to people who live there nothing wrong with it I guess.

sagehen

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Warwickshire
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 01:09:54 pm »
Chitterlings are pig's intestines, not chicken's. Tripe is lovely, but really depends on how it's cooked. You've got to cook it well, or you'd be eating something like tough stinky towels. By the way, people going yuk and gross, if you've eaten commercial sausages, you wouldn't even want to know what goes in there! I, personally think offal is underrated  ;D

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 01:11:29 pm »
Aha, I only eat sauasages form my pigs and I know what goes in ;)

sagehen

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Warwickshire
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 01:14:32 pm »
 :P Rub it in, why don't ya?  ;D I'm lucky enough to be able to buy sausages off a local farmer - not the same, but better than supermarkets, I think.
So what do you do with the offal off the pigs? Don't you eat them?

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2010, 01:21:31 pm »
Me no! but everyone raves about the liver! my boys like hearts, Dad likes the kidneys and the rest gets boiled for the dogs! Dad makes pork pies and does something with the trotters for this!

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2010, 01:25:25 pm »
there's a move towards encouraging people to eat more offal, I understand it was a necessity during rationing nothing got wasted and it's only now folk are so picky. I used to like to eat liver as a kid but then there was scare mongering about commercially farmed animals livers not being good for you so I've never gone back to it. I suspect the family would really turn their noses up if I presented them with liver and onions or even worse heart or kidneys...

So anyone got any good offal recipes then? maybe I should give it a go and see if I can disguise it and get them to eat some..

Dangermouse

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2010, 01:28:44 pm »
you're just sick DM obviously  ;D.

I have a friend who travels a lot, firmly believes that when in Rome and all that, so in France he ate horse. bad boy.. in Vietnam he ate dog.. very bad boy .. and in Peru he ate Guinea Pig.. so disgusting.. but to people who live there nothing wrong with it I guess.

Too right Ill eat anything and strangely enough I am in Africa as we speak  ;D

sagehen

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Warwickshire
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2010, 01:32:19 pm »
Do you like pate? It's a good place to start with pig's liver, and you can make any variation of it. Pate on toast....mmmmmm.... :yum:

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2010, 01:35:04 pm »
I love pate Sagehen..

DM I dread to think what you're consuming in Africa! what's the local delicacy where you are?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS