Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How disgusting eh!  (Read 11467 times)

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
Re: How disgusting eh!
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2010, 04:49:32 pm »
Jackie if you look in recipes you will see I have posted several for using pig offal You cannot make a good souse without a brace of good trotters and a slice of shin of beef.
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2010, 05:02:42 pm »
Dixie round here chitterlings /chiterlins are made from the stomach of the pig and its a labour of love to prepare them Its Known as cleanin the s**t out before cooking them I am sure in the Southern States they are called Hog Maws.Its to much bother to prepare for me but the are extremely edible and many would say an acquired taste ;D :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2010, 05:07:55 pm »
Sagehen I like all pate and make a lot but not FISH I find chicken livers are a good place to start Pig livers are a bit strong and Ox liver very strong The variations are countless and I eat mine on toast.

Jackie

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2010, 07:25:51 pm »
Jackie is off to the recipe section.

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2010, 12:28:59 am »
Chitterlings are one of my Dad's favourite dishes in the middle of France. Last time I tried them I could not chew them up - my teeth kept bouncing off them. Way too rubbery for me. Maybe it was the cooking but it put me off.
Nastiest thing that I ever ate was a ten year old huge pickled fish egg in Japan. My host had saved it for a really special occasion. I felt very guilty that I just could not rise to the occasion -

kirsty

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2010, 08:35:09 am »
Marigold dear I keep telling you I HATE FISH I am told Caviar is the thing but the smell puts me right off. Jackie I will post some pate recipes if you tell me what you like. Game -  Liver - Pig - Beef. Muther used to do one vith only veg. Now that is real crap before you digest it ;D  :farmer:

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2010, 12:20:28 pm »
I can eat anything except tripe!! I have tried it but whichever way it's cooked I can't get it past my teeth. I think it may be the texture as I have limited sense of taste and smell. Swallow it, I can't!
I was once given tripe, beautifully cooked at a friends house "as a treat". I had to cut it in tiny pieces and swallow it whole to get it down!

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2010, 12:22:28 pm »
I can eat anything except tripe!! I have tried it but whichever way it's cooked I can't get it past my teeth. I think it may be the texture as I have limited sense of taste and smell. Swallow it, I can't!
I was once given tripe, beautifully cooked at a friends house "as a treat". I had to cut it in tiny pieces and swallow it whole to get it down!

Isn't that just the worst when you go to a friends for dinner and you get something put in front of you that you just hate but you can't say No!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2010, 12:27:02 pm »
Don't you think that if they are good friends you could tell them?  "I'm really sorry, I know how much you've put into making this lovely food but I'm afraid I just can't eat tripe.  I have tried before and I just cannot get it down.  I hope you don't mind if I leave it"  I'm afraid i wouldn't make myself ill for anyone.  Most of my friends ask before I go if there's anything I really hate.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2010, 02:06:38 pm »
Hello Annie We don't go anywhere to eat they come here then I know what it is Never had anyone turn their nose up and say don't want that.Liar I hear you mutter You went to your 50th Wedding anniversary Celebrations last December.OK sorry but I cannot think the time before that ;D :farmer:

Jackie

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2010, 07:31:17 pm »
George I like most things just not trotters and prawns.  ;D

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2010, 08:42:28 pm »
Hello Jackie Yes and no You cannot make a good souse oh sorry brawn with out a couple of trotters but I agree they are next to kippers for being boney. Prawns = Tibetan Cow or worse ;D ;D :farmer:

Jackie

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2010, 09:06:33 pm »
I like pigs head brawn made with lots of black pepper.  ;D

Ill try your recipe for it too George, I know I can get the trotters round here very cheaply so what do I lose and I may even love it, you never know.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 03:35:03 am by Jackie »

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2010, 09:57:21 am »
Jackie hello  There seems to me I think started by Delia to use up none rated food There was a pratt posted a slatting on Delia for using some food out of a tin.To which I replied with a Ken Dodd saying "If only" I am sorry if we fancy a corned beef hash I cannot make one with out opening a can.Oh yes C****** I know how to and do make corned beef if Wiz lets me have a nice piece of flank but its a month project and I fancy corned beef fritters NOW so I'll open a tin.Not bothering to go to recipes.If you like corned beef chill a can over night in the fridge and then peel a good size potato and slice it into 6m/m slices and dry the slices on kitchen paper.Open the can and slice the corned beef into 6m/m slices.Make your favourite batter fairly thick.get a potato slice a corned beef slice on top and a potato slice on top to make a sandwich secure with cocktail sticks stuck right through at 45 degrees to keep them together dip and coat all over with batter and deep fry.Not a weight watchers recipe this but then again none of mine are.Bugger it I'll get Kath to do some for lunch I'll pop a tin in the deep freeze for an hour So you know whats for  lunch if you are going past :D :farmer:

sagehen

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Warwickshire
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2010, 04:36:48 pm »
Oooh I love corned beef hash! You've made me hungry now  :yum: Ooh corned beef sammich *drool* Don't you just hate it though when the key snaps the metal thing to open it - I've been desperate enough to use a drill to open the sodding can!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS