Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Market for boy kids from dairy?  (Read 15179 times)

mart6

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Notts / Yorkshire border
Re: Market for boy kids from dairy?
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2015, 12:48:53 pm »
Borderlands  where abouts in the country are you ?
I know a large Boer breeder that sells off surplus males cheap to farmers to fatten up

Thanks Mart6, we are in mid Wales with a small holding in England just over the border in the Midlands. Happy to travel if the distance wasn't a problem for the goats...

Sent you a pm

I had a quote from vet in Chesterfield for Dehorning of £10 would inmagine at that its + VAT   
Thought that was a bargin cheapest i have seen been quoted £25-30 in past
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 12:52:44 pm by mart6 »

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2015, 01:57:40 pm »
I know a large Boer breeder that sells off surplus males cheap to farmers to fatten up

Thanks Mart6, we are in mid Wales with a small holding in England just over the border in the Midlands. Happy to travel if the distance wasn't a problem for the goats...

Sent you a pm

I had a quote from vet in Chesterfield for Dehorning of £10 would inmagine at that its + VAT   

Was that under GA or local ?

cuckoo

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2015, 02:15:19 pm »
My vet in east yorks charges about £16 for disbudding - includes VAT and is under local anaesthetic. I don't disbud my boers - only my GGs

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2015, 02:36:07 pm »
we pay about £45  >:(
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2015, 02:52:50 pm »
My vet wants £50 plus VAT per kid, under GA.  I no longer have mine disbudded.

mart6

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Notts / Yorkshire border
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2015, 03:27:37 pm »

Sent you a pm

Was that under GA or local ?

To be honest i never asked  which it was, as i am not keen anyway.
Was enquiring re callouts we are just outside area and they did not seem to keen to come even if i paid extra,but soppose they have to draw a line somewhere.

Reading posts above seems to be some big variations in disbudding prices.
Wonder if it is the same for CAE testing ?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 03:34:36 pm by mart6 »

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2015, 09:01:06 am »
on the subject of goat meat, we have just got from a holiday in Rhodes.  Stayed in the south of the island where there are very few tourists.  Most nights we ate "baby goat" in local tavernas.  Got to admit it tasted almost as good as my lamb!!  Joints, cooked very slowly in a red sauce, no idea what was in the "red sauce", but it didn't over shadow the taste of the meat, really lean, very tender.  So good that we started talking about having a few goats for the meat.  Cant understand why more people don't eat goat meat!!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2015, 12:28:36 am »
I love it which is just as well since we have about a goat and a half in our freezer.

Tree Farmer

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2015, 03:16:05 pm »
I just wanted to say I applaud your idea.. :-) I'm probably also a bit of an old hippy but I quite agree with your intention... Do lots of research and see if it might be a goer !

Loobylou

• Joined May 2015
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2015, 08:11:45 pm »
It is true that dairy goat can taste different to a meat goat as other companies have proved. But why not give it a try. We breed boers for meat and are currently on a new feed plan to get a carcass ready between 6 and 9 months. You just need to research what's the best feed. But just watch the silage for young goats as it's not recommended as its too acidic. Hope your idea works out

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2015, 10:24:40 pm »
What  feed do you give them, how much and what weights do you get at what age?

I have dairy and angoras at the moment.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2015, 09:19:28 am »
our boys get hay over winter with a little bit of concentrate and grass etc through the summer and we send them off at 1 yr old, not a huge kill weight (14-15kgs) but we have introduced a Boer billy so hoping this years kids will fatten up a bit quicker
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2015, 10:14:03 am »
our boys get hay over winter with a little bit of concentrate and grass etc through the summer and we send them off at 1 yr old, not a huge kill weight (14-15kgs) but we have introduced a Boer billy so hoping this years kids will fatten up a bit quicker

With your billy if you send away at 1 year you will double that weight !!!

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2015, 11:05:50 am »

That's about the same as mine,  angora x dairy (golden guernsey x saanen) does, so not huge goats.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2015, 12:39:15 pm »
My Togg boys usually go in the autumn, 8-9 mnth at about 15kg. carrying one of the boer boys I reckon he nearly weighs that at 14wk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS