Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What to use as a broody coop for my BO's?  (Read 2213 times)

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
What to use as a broody coop for my BO's?
« on: February 19, 2010, 10:07:48 am »
Hi all
Sorry I haven't been a round very much lately but things have been rather hectic since we moved in!

Anyway, the girls are doing well, but I have two broody ones. I have sourced some hatching eggs and are going to give natural incubation a try with them, but I need to move them out of the coop. The other have started laying on the main floor as they can't get in their favourite nest boxes!

My question is, can I put them in a separate coop together, or should they be completely separate? I have a smaller coop that they could both go in, but if this isn't suitable, what should I use? I've looked the triangular arks, but not sure if the girls would get through the hole to the run - would have to make that bigger I guess.

Any advice / suggestions?

Thanks all!

dizzy1pig

• Joined Jan 2010
  • Leuchars, Fife
Re: What to use as a broody coop for my BO's?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 11:04:47 am »
i have a wee rabbit ark/run its great cause she has her own wee run and a house but she can not go anywhere.
they manage in door ok. tried in hut but after 2 weeks they got bored and came off eggs. :chook:

joyofchicks

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: What to use as a broody coop for my BO's?
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 11:22:41 am »
I used an old dog kennel which I used to use as a covered feeding station for the chooks.  I worried that the chicks wouldn't manage up the wee ramp but they are more able than I gave them credit for.  My kind husband positioned the kennel and makeshift run just outside my kitchen window once the chicks hatched but I did practically no housework for weeks as I spent all my time watching them.  I've attached a photo.  Hope to do the same again in spring though my broody is broody now!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS