Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: More goats on their way!  (Read 4016 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
More goats on their way!
« on: February 17, 2010, 10:03:39 pm »
These are the ones who have been at a petting farm, then on to a lady, who has decided they have grown too large (think she thought they were pygmy kids when they arrived.  She was a  bit vague what breed they are, but all castrated males, and big she said.  From her description they could be Toggenburg.

Sounds like the farm has been diversified - livery yard, golf course etc.  Goats, and other animals are there for the clients at the golf club.  Anyway, these 4 young boys have been gettiing out and going up to the people who are at the golf club.  With being used to a petting farm, they will be wanting human attention all the time.

Got a phone call tonight asking if I  could go urgently and pick them up - getting out of their field all the time.  I hope they are not going to be troublesome here.  Owner said she did not care what I did with them, just take them :D

Have mentioned the goats to OH, but not exactly how many there are (four).  He will need to come with me to help load and unload them, so there will more than likely be a shout when he sees how many!!

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: More goats on their way!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 11:06:45 pm »
Roxy you are a superstar  :)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 11:26:04 pm »
I may  be regetting taking them if they start to climb fences and run off.  I think I will shut them in the field shelter until I see what they are like.  I wish one of them was a nanny goat, as I do need to separate Jasmine from Paddy and he hates being on his own.  When a big alpine billy gets mad, he gets very mad :o

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 11:32:27 pm »
You are so good to this women by taking them on. If they are castrated, wouldn't Paddy go in with them? He wouldn't think of them as a challenge if they are all castrated.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Beth

daniellestocks

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Nr Pickering, North Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 09:29:56 am »
Good luck roxy sounds like a challenge!  :)

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 08:35:26 pm »
sounds like its gonna be fun!  hope all goes to plan...
Little Blue

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 10:55:30 pm »
I probably should just walk away from things like this......but, where would the goats end up?  Maybe someone would take them, and then sell them at a livestock market, to go goodness knows where, with people who know nothing whatsoever about goats.  This is the second lot that have come to me because people thought they were pygmy kids, and then got surprised when they grew and grew......And of course I have the Alpine billy that the man had got as a pet for his small children, that being the second entire billy he had got and ridded within a week.  And the three in the Newcastle garden with nothing to eat.......and so it goes on.

I saw an advert on the internet for a two week old kid, bottle feeding it said.  Fine, very cute, for the kids to feed with a bottle.  Few weeks down the line, they will lose interest, and the kid will be up for sale again.

I don't think people actually put enough thought into getting an animal sometimes.  They are hard work, and yes, goats will escape if they can, but you have to fence your fields to stop them!!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS