Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Plant pot tessellation...  (Read 3050 times)

quixoticgeek

• Joined Sep 2014
Plant pot tessellation...
« on: May 09, 2015, 11:56:58 pm »

Just playing around trying to pot on some plants, it occurred to me that of all the square pots and gravel trays I own, none of them tessellate nicely to get a reasonable density on the window sill. Anyone know why the plant pot industry can't make these work nicely together... ?

Sorry, had to get that off my chest...

J

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Plant pot tessellation...
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2015, 11:58:58 pm »
I thought you'd found a Roman floor there for a minute  :roflanim:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2015, 12:41:34 am »
Ah, word of the week  :D

I have 4" square pots which fit fine into ordinary seed tray sized thingies (x6), also into bakers trays (x30), and reasonably well into the variously sized gravel trays I have. 2 and a bit inch square pots fit 15 per seed tray sized thing (I have seed trays with no holes in as saucers for a number of pots, when my plants have grown out of modules).    It's the round ones I find to be such a waste of space.  My seed trays fit very well four to a windowsill.  They don't fit all that well into my Jumbo propagator.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 12:44:16 am by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2015, 09:35:41 am »
I use a lot of the cheap 3" square pots that fit in 18 pot trays - as in 7 such trays of sweetcorn hardening off at the mo. They stack ok except for the necessary rim.
Filling square pots into trays means less falls between when hurling potting compost at them.. and less to sweep off the potting bench.
I hate unnecessary potting on so sow direct into the size pots or modules that'll do until they get planted out i.e lettuce and brassicas into 40 pot modules, dwarf beans 3 to a 3" pot and the clump straight into the ground. The only exception was when ppepers weren;t germnating and i stuck several per 3" pot on the third sowing - and they all came up a well as the late first and second lots.

I worry when my seedlings tesseract to another dimesnion or start generating electricity.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 11:28:11 pm »
In geometry, the tesseract is the four-dimensional analog of the cube; the tesseract is to the cube as the cube is to the square. Just as the surface of the cube consists of 6 square faces, the hypersurface of the tesseract consists of 8 cubical cells. The tesseract is one of the six convex regular 4-polytopes.  :innocent: :eyelashes:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

quixoticgeek

• Joined Sep 2014
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2015, 12:15:15 am »
In geometry, the tesseract is the four-dimensional analog of the cube; the tesseract is to the cube as the cube is to the square. Just as the surface of the cube consists of 6 square faces, the hypersurface of the tesseract consists of 8 cubical cells. The tesseract is one of the six convex regular 4-polytopes.  :innocent: :eyelashes:

I'll have a pint of what ever doganjo has been drinking... :p

J

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2015, 01:42:00 pm »
It was just a drop of google  :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS