Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Growiing Monkey puzzle trees  (Read 1762 times)

ThomasR

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Peebles
Growiing Monkey puzzle trees
« on: May 24, 2015, 03:29:19 pm »
I have been given some chilean pine seeds and have germinated 2 after only two weeks what is the next step? I germinated them by putting them in the fridge for two weeks and then putting them in to a 50% compost and 50% sand mix which i have kept warm and moist. Can anybody help me to continue the growth of the seedlings?

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
Re: Growiing Monkey puzzle trees
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2015, 05:09:04 pm »
When i ventured into growing them from seed I stuck them in modules in the conservatory and let them get on with it... and had  decent enough germination rate (3 out of 5). The problem i found was that they don't like being transplanted and I had losses each time I went up in pot size.
I got a deal on 30 x 2 year old trees and lost one or two of those each time I went up in pot size. Last transplat was about 1 month ago. I lost 2. One was looking sick before transplant but the other looked as healthy as the ret and i was careful with handlng the soil ball from their previous pot.
I only have one of my original sown trees and 26 or 27 of the bought batch.

They are now in large deep pots and will stay thus for another 2-3 years before going out into the field when big enough to compete. Where i aim to put them permenantly does have lost of high weeds and grasses and even with a membrane surround they'd be pushed to get light unless a good size. they'll be in two groves of 15 - one each side of my valley towards the top of my fields to spread the risk. I'm after their nuts as a food source (for my descendants?)

To be fair i've had the same sorts of losses with bare root frost tolerant variants of pecan and hickory nut seedlings too.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS