Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: First novice hatch  (Read 10522 times)

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
Re: First novice hatch
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2015, 11:58:46 am »
Did I say I was going to leave well alone?  ???
I have got increasingly concerned about the "pointy end down" thing. I don't know why as surely hens don't brood their eggs in that awkward position. But I decided I had to at least try to rearrange them.
Its not easy. The little metal "fences" have no give in them for one egg being a bit rounder than the other. And I only have 11 in an Octagon 20 so they aren't pressed up against each other for support.
But in the end I think they are now all more-or-less pointing down  :relief:
 Now the next worry is if my messing with them cooled or dried them too much! Honestly! Who knew it was so stressful?!

N&C, how are yours getting on?
Is it time to retire yet?

NicandChic

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2015, 01:21:08 pm »
Fine...mine were eBay eggs, 1 didn't develop, lost another early stages...I went into to turn them Thursday and they were cold - plug had been pulled out ???? I candled yesterday and could see movement in 2 of the remaining 4 so we shall see (bit of a disaster hatch) if I get anything no doubt that will be cockerels  :-J

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2015, 03:09:26 pm »
Oh no, bad luck. What happened to the plug, not a teenager I hope? Mine are in the spare bedroom and my son has been at home from Uni for a few days. I was sure he was going to unplug the incubator to plug one of his silly devices in but so far so good.
Keep us posted on what happens to the remainder. What breeds have you got in?

NicandChic

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2015, 09:46:31 pm »
Only myself to blame, I have to lift the lid 3x a day to turn them, think I've popped the lid down and its waggled out! Suppose to be white Silkies but off eBay so could be anything lol

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2015, 09:58:06 pm »
2 chicks out already! Both Blue laced Wyandottes ( well, tbh Im not sure which colour they are yet as there are 3 possibles). One chick burst out  in no time  like Mad Max and is very feisty. The second had an epic struggle and is now resting but he/she looks OK.
Its only day 20 so Im now a bit worried about what to do with these 2 if the others haven't hatched by tomorrow evening. Im thinking, leave it to them and don't interfere.
Its a fantastic thing to see these little guys break free from their shells. Its quite life-enhancing and it makes me feel humble

NicandChic

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2015, 09:35:47 am »
Yay!

I leave new chicks 24hrs in the incubator to fluff up then pop them in the brooder.

(Nothing here so far)

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2015, 12:27:19 pm »
Nothing yet N&C?? Oh no.... are they overdue now? Gosh I hope it wasn't the plug incident. Fingers crossed for you.

We now have 9 chicks. All 6 Laced Wyandottes hatched so that's a pretty good advert for eBay eggs!
The CLBs not so great. Of the initial 6 one was infertile and went at day 8. 3 of the remainder have hatched but the last 2 aren't even pipping yet. I know that today is only day 21 for me but its odd that all the others are out, some of them out yesterday afternoon....and CLBs among them.  Im going to leave them alone and sit on my hands!

NicandChic

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2015, 01:33:42 pm »
It can take a while, they may of developed but be the wrong way round & can't pip, I had that happen with my last lot (I like to open up and see what went wrong) hopefully they are just taking their time, they may of internally pipped, listen out for cheeping!
I'm hoping my 4 are ok, I'm expecting pipping today but nothing so far, may happen a bit later due to the plug incident or not atall grrr!
I've had great hatches from eBay eggs and selling my own, my last lot of light Sussex they hatched 6/6  :thumbsup:
Best of luck with your new gang!  :chook:

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2015, 07:31:16 pm »
Thank You N&C, and best of luck to you too. This whole process is ridiculously engrossing isn't it? Im now nervous for your brood!  ::)

My 2 remaining eggs look pretty much inactive. But I haven't given up yet.

One thing I wondered. I have hatched 2 CLB hens and one cockerel. I really wanted at least 4 hens as my customers really want the blue eggs and I only have 2 laying at present. A lady locally is selling CLB female chicks aged 2 to 5 days. If my 2 eggs aren't alive would it be safe to buy 2 of her hen chicks and mix them with my brood? Im a bit worried about infections etc. Advice would be greatly appreciated

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2015, 12:35:52 am »
RE. the pointy end down thing, I tried setting some eggs that way after reading this (meant I could fit more in). I won't do it again - first two are coming out the wrong end with help, remainder have yet to pip (day 21 now). Ducks and geese were also set pointy end down but I lay them all flat after about 10 days because I panicked about how they were developing - very odd formation when you're used to them developing side down.

Re. buying in chicks, I guess it depends how well you know her and her set up. If you're happy she's got healthy, disease free stock you should be OK.

H

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2015, 02:14:27 pm »
I think Im with you on that Hester.

Well it ended up as no more chicks. I opened the 2 that didn't hatch. One looked infertile , so I mustn't have candled it correctly. The other had a chick in but it had obviously died quite a while ago as it was very small and underdeveloped and completely bald.
Moreover, of the 3 Legbars that did hatch one is great and the biggest chick in the box but the other 2 are very tiny,  quite reluctant to move about and I think the female has a deformed foot.  So that was a bad batch of eggs I think

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2015, 11:58:12 am »
this is the last of my updates I think as the chicks are now 4 and 5 days old.
All looking good so far. The chicks are feisty, noisy, poohing for Great Britain and I fixed the splayed legs ( that was the problem, not her foot) on the CLB girl by splinting it for 3 days ( my god, what a fiddly job!).
Ive now got the CLB male splinted too but Im feeling quite confident about it as he wasn't as bad as the female and she has turned out OK. He's clearly for Coq au Vin though and she definitely wont be bred from. In fact Im not breeding from any of the CLBs as Im not happy that they are from good robust stock.
The Laced Wyandottes look to be 2 different colours. Im pretty sure some are Black/Gold Laced and I hope the others are Blue Laced but Im not sure. Very pretty either way.

Thank you all for your advice.
My first attempt is out of the way now so I hope next time to be a bit more relaxed.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2015, 02:08:46 pm »
If you're not sure if your eggs will hatch after the 21st day, tap the egg gently with a fingernail. you may hear the chick peeping or a faint "clicking" sound as the chick pecks away. You have to hold the egg to your ear so mark with a pencil the way up they were!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS